X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well there is the tree Aspen, even a Finnish Aspen, and they have those all over Finlandia or Karelia but I'm sure that's not it.

Or this for 3 The very first commercially available recording of The Velvet Underground, an instrumental track called "Loop" given away with Aspen Magazine, ???

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
      Or this for 3 The very first commercially available recording of The Velvet Underground, an instrumental track called "Loop" given away with Aspen Magazine, ???
      What more can you tell us about this magazine?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        What more can you tell us about this magazine?
        At a guess, it came in a posh box, and only lasted six years?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          At a guess, it came in a posh box, and only lasted six years?
          10 issues to be exact, published between 1965 -71. A multimedia publication, including films and flexidiscs, and the vanguard of the US modern art movement at the time.

Someone nail the Sibelius link, please

Comment

10 issues to be exact, published between 1965 -71. A multimedia publication, including films and flexidiscs, and the vanguard of the US modern art movement at the time.

Someone nail the Sibelius link, please
            Op 75 No 3

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Op 75 No 3
              Correct, scb. I used to play this piece when I was at school.
              And here is someone else playing it:
              Jean Sibelius: Op. 75 "The Trees", No. 3 "The Aspen"Franklin Howell, piano

Comment

Well, that was all rather messy, a bit like the execution of Mary Queen of Scots. Although Don got the Aspen Summer School first, I think the laurels should go to Simon for suspecting there was a summer school/festival connection despite my wicked and deliberate attempt at obfuscation!

Comment

Well, that was all rather messy, a bit like the execution of Mary Queen of Scots. Although Don got the Aspen Summer School first, I think the laurels should go to Simon for suspecting there was a summer school/festival connection despite my wicked and deliberate attempt at obfuscation!
                  Fine by me. As usual I seem to come along on someone else's coat tails once the initial nut has been cracked. Anyway Simon will probably give us a beautifully symmetrical circular conundrum.

Comment

I sat it out, it was doing my head in.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Simon is always trying to make us keep it simpler, so there is hope in the next round?

Comment

Just in a lazy frame of mind today I think... I've been enjoying the more idle amusements of the "really annoying pieces" thread I started this afternoon

Rubbernecker, you must have a few musical phantoms to exorcise, surely???? Do join in over there!

Comment

Simon is always trying to make us keep it simpler, so there is hope in the next round?
                          Well, I'd have a job to make it more complicated, innit?

Sorry r/n - no offence intended! Interesting it was.

I don't think I deserve it, really. But its' a while since I did one so yes, give me time and I'll have a go at pitching at the level I think we should aim for.

Comment

Just in a lazy frame of mind today I think... I've been enjoying the more idle amusements of the "really annoying pieces" thread I started this afternoon

Rubbernecker, you must have a few musical phantoms to exorcise, surely???? Do join in over there!
                            I am all exorcised out, thank you Caliban. On the subject of keeping things simple, I would rather work hard at something and fail than to reap easy pickings. It's just the way I am. It's probably why I prefer to listen to Radio 3 rather than Classic FM, although it's becoming increasingly hard to tell the difference...

Comment

I am all exorcised out, thank you Caliban. On the subject of keeping things simple, I would rather work hard at something and fail than to reap easy pickings. It's just the way I am. It's probably why I prefer to listen to Radio 3 rather than Classic FM, although it's becoming increasingly hard to tell the difference...
                              I agree, if one's in the right mood it's much more interesting. I can't see the interest of the other 'musical associations' thread... !

I had hoped you might come over and put the boot into Liszt to back me up...

Comment

Ok - this isn't it, because I can't get one right at the moment from my brain - I'm in a complicated mood and anyway I'm off out in 30 minutes and must shower.

But here's one to keep you going that came to me quite quickly. I think it's tough, and it calls for lateral thinking, but once you see it I think you'll appreciate it.

What outstandingly important musical B comes from the following, and why:

Excellently ordered letters will aid many who kindly look.
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-01-11, 01:05. Reason: a typo and also insertion of words in bold as clue!!

Comment

Working...
                                X