X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By his own admission, he's gone all tough on us!

Comment

Ok then, I've a few minutes now whilst awaiting some info and I've only had a pint!

This is the real "B" link question - and it's just the right level of difficulty, I think.

What B is common to Germany, Finland and Denmark?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Ok - this isn't it, because I can't get one right at the moment from my brain - I'm in a complicated mood and anyway I'm off out in 30 minutes and must shower.

But here's one to keep you going that came to me quite quickly. I think it's tough, and it calls for lateral thinking, but once you see it I think you'll appreciate it.

What outstandingly important musical B comes from the following, and why:

Excellently ordered letters will aid many who kindly look.
        Beethoven's letters are now available for Kindle?
        Last edited by Guest; 09-01-11, 10:45. Reason: Correction

Comment

What outstandingly important musical B comes from the following, and why:

Excellently ordered letters will aid many who kindly look.
          If your aim is to discourage people from participating in the activities on this board, you're very close to achieving it.

Comment

Ok then, I've a few minutes now whilst awaiting some info and I've only had a pint!

This is the real "B" link question - and it's just the right level of difficulty, I think.

What B is common to Germany, Finland and Denmark?
            Birch, from the genus betula, a tree commonly found in all three of these temperate land masses.

According to Wikipedia, Baltic Birch is among the most sought after wood in the manufacture of speaker cabinets. Birch has a natural resonance that peaks in the high and low frequencies, which are also the hardest for speakers to reproduce. This resonance compensates for the roll-off of low and high frequencies in the speakers, and evens the tone. Birch is known for having "natural EQ."

The common name birch is derived from an old Germanic root, birka, with the Proto-Indo-European root *bherəg, "white, bright; to shine." The Proto-Germanic rune berkanan is named after the birch. The botanic name Betula is from the Latin.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              Birch, from the genus betula, a tree commonly found in all three of these temperate land masses.

According to Wikipedia, Baltic Birch is among the most sought after wood in the manufacture of speaker cabinets. Birch has a natural resonance that peaks in the high and low frequencies, which are also the hardest for speakers to reproduce. This resonance compensates for the roll-off of low and high frequencies in the speakers, and evens the tone. Birch is known for having "natural EQ."

The common name birch is derived from an old Germanic root, birka, with the Proto-Indo-European root *bherəg, "white, bright; to shine." The Proto-Germanic rune berkanan is named after the birch. The botanic name Betula is from the Latin.

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

No - the first one was just a stopgap - more a sort or codebreaking thing - that I hoped might amuse some of you whilst I came up with another B question. (I try to do them from my head you see, on the grounds that if I know it then others will!) Look at the slightly artificial sentence and think why is it thus ... it must be the word order, mustn't it? So you look at the words - and then look at the first letters ... and think of the outstanding B composer ...

The other clue is the real one - and it is very straightforward. It actually relates to the letter itself... and there's another clue in a word in the question!

Comment

No - the first one was just a stopgap - more a sort or codebreaking thing - that I hoped might amuse some of you whilst I came up with another B question
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Sorry Simon!

Comment

No - the first one was just a stopgap - more a sort or codebreaking thing - that I hoped might amuse some of you whilst I came up with another B question. (I try to do them from my head you see, on the grounds that if I know it then others will!) Look at the slightly artificial sentence and think why is it thus ... it must be the word order, mustn't it? So you look at the words - and then look at the first letters ... and think of the outstanding B composer ...
                    Hmm, EOLWAMWKL? I think my answer was better. At least it fitted the clue and was true.

Comment

Aspen, Colorado

http://www.aspenmusicfestival.com/index.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
                        Erm..... welcome back Siggy... Internet lag? We're on to "B"

The other clue is the real one - and it is very straightforward. It actually relates to the letter itself... and there's another clue in a word in the question!
                        Trouble is, it could be anything... I'm sure bees are common in all of them.. buses... beer... birch-trees (as rubbernecker has mischievouly pointed out)... a Baltic sea coast... And if it is a musical answer (which perhaps we should assume) I'm sure Beethoven, Brahms, Bach etc etc are commonly played in all of them...

Buggered if I know...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

[QUOTE=Caliban;21819]Erm..... welcome back Siggy... Internet lag? We're on to "B"

Comment

The Baltic could be said to be common to all three - and there is a Baltic Sea Festival, I believe?

Comment

Having been there twiddling my thumbs day after day( actually reading, knitting and meeting marvelous yet similarly tired other parents ) in the often tedious lonely process of waiting for a child at music camp, I offer this in the Baltic Sea.

Visby, Gotland, Sweden an island.

Comment

and there is a music festival in Gdynia, Poland on the Baltic Sea ....

Comment

Working...
                                X