• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Next question:

What J links Mathias, Johann and John?

Comment

I think I've an idea about this one - but whilst others have a chance to cogitate, would someone mind explaining the previous I answer? Fank u.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          I think I've an idea about this one - but whilst others have a chance to cogitate, would someone mind explaining the previous I answer? Fank u.
          Rimsky-Korsakov: Song of India

Rudolf Friml: Indian Love Song

Ballard MacDonald: Back Home Again in Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            Laura's legs were something else.
            Good Morning, rubbernecker. Great avatar picture by the way!!

I'm afraid this thread is much too difficult for me, but I just wanted to thank you for uploading that clip of Laura Branigan. Due to some unspecified gremlin I am currently without sound on my computer, but it was still a pleasure to watch. And I agree about the legs....
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              Good Morning, rubbernecker. Great avatar picture by the way!!

I'm afraid this thread is much too difficult for me, but I just wanted to thank you for uploading that clip of Laura Branigan. Due to some unspecified gremlin I am currently without sound on my computer, but it was still a pleasure to watch. And I agree about the legs....
              Good morning to you Mr. Pee, and I return the compliment on your avatar which portrays the same combination of the Great Man and his Sunbeam bicycle. Elgar (and English music, generally) and cycling are my two greatest loves (after Mrs R, of course). Hope you didn't miss the superb BBC4 Hidden Elgar film a few weeks ago.
              As for Laura B, who is sadly no longer with us, you must thank Simon the thread starter and question poser for reminding us of her strapping charms. She must have been a cyclist, too For a popular chanteuse, she also had an impressive vocal and expressive range which I hope you will hear when you sort out your computer sound problem.

Now I must apply some thought to subcontra's latest puzzle...
              Last edited by Guest; 17-12-10, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                Next question:

What J links Mathias, Johann and John?
                Having had a rather pleasant long lunch with some work colleagues I feel suitably emboldened to have a stab at this:

Joseph? (As in Reinhardt)

Comment

Joseph? (As in Reinhardt)
                  Well done. All musical fathers with composer sons named Joseph. Mathias Haydn, Johann Strauss and John Gibbs.

Comment

Well done. All musical fathers with composer sons named Joseph. Mathias Haydn, Johann Strauss and John Gibbs.
                    TBH, it wasn't quite the connection I made, but I guess it counts.

What K links the composers of these three works: Don Quixote, Caesar & Cleopatra and Alceste? (one word)

Comment

24 hrs gone and no bites. Time perhaps for a bump, and a nudge in the form of another clue. All three composers are from the Baroque era.

Comment

24 hrs gone and no bites. Time perhaps for a bump, and a nudge in the form of another clue. All three composers are from the Baroque era.
                        I had got that the composers were from that era. Looking now at their biographies suggests an answer of "Kapellmeister" as a post held by all of them at different times.
                        Last edited by subcontrabass; 18-12-10, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          Yes, I just know that this won't be accepted but I've got to go for it - Deram Records, Katy Derham, and the Dirham. I fully appreciate that the latter is a coin rather than a phrase on one I have in my pocket. Have you considered that you might have got the question wrong?
                          Don't know about lateral - I'd call that positively retrograde. But I do note you could do it later when you tried. (I'm still catching up on threads.)

Comment

I had got that the composers were from that era. Looking now at their biographies suggests an answer of "Kapellmeister" as a post held by all of them at different times.
                            Indeed, Telemann, Graun and Gluck all held Kapellmeister posts. Well done, subcontrabass. Pray now lead us on the road to L.

Comment

Well done, Ofcachap. Hirondelle is indeed correct. L'Hirondelle is a piece by Dane Joachim Andersen, which is of course the French for a swallow, Late Swallows was a movement arrd. by Eric Fenby from Delius's 2nd string quartet, and then we had a German swallow in the form of Brahms's Liebe Schwalbe, kleine Schwalbe from his Op.112. But you knew all that, you clever chap, Ofcachap.
                              Was the quartet movement already called 'Late Swallows' before Fenby, so to speak, got at it? I rather thought it was but can't seem to Google a definitive answer either way. I've just looked in Cobbett, and there is no mention of the title, though he doesn't cover the quartet in any detail, just giving it in the initial list of works.

Comment

Indeed, Telemann, Graun and Gluck all held Kapellmeister posts. Well done, subcontrabass. Pray now lead us on the road to L.
                                What L links Stabat Mater, 1812, and Mendelssohn?

Comment

Working...
                                X