X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The North West is well served, musically.

It takes less than an hour to get to the Halle and to the BBC Philharmonic. That's three major orchestras within reaching distance. It's great!

Keep at it, Vinteuil. My brain has gone underground.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      i think i've got one and three - two is evading me at the moment...
      Care to share vinteuil?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Care to share vinteuil?
        well. i was thinkin'

- Simon Says

and

-Simon Boccanegra

but whether S Rattle or S Keenlyside or S Bolivar Orch from the Proms???

Comment

well. i was thinkin'

- Simon Says
          and
          -Simon Boccanegra
          but whether S Rattle or S Keenlyside or S Bolivar Orch from the Proms???
          Hurrah! Simon Says (I slipped that in because Ams51 is his best friend!) and it was Simon Boccanegra and the Revolutionary at the Proms - why it was Simon Bolivar of course! So looking forward to that (Rattle is not at Proms this year, actually I think he has only done one?)

Well done. No hurry for the next one, in your own time

Comment

Hurrah!
            .... No hurry for the next one, in your own time
            Anna - thanks for that!

I'm zonked and off to bed. With luck i will dream of thee... I'm sorry, I mean i will dream of Tee...

Comment

Anna - thanks for that!

I'm zonked and off to bed. With luck i will dream of thee... I'm sorry, I mean i will dream of Tee...
              Well, vints, I am off to bed too, I wouldn't like to say what I may dream of!

Comment

What T connects Matteo's partner with Julius Caesar and also perhaps Hollingworth's take on John of the Cross?

Comment

Deary me. Has no-one shown any interest since about ten this morning, which is when I was last on line?

I am stuck with the T puzzle: I have no idea which Matteo and can only think of Carcassi, no idea which Hollingworth either. Martin, Robert or ...

Where are rubbernecker, Caliban, mercia, am51 and mercia, I wonder, to say nothing of Anna. All living it up elsewhere, I suppose. Sybarites, all ?

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                    Where are rubbernecker, Caliban, mercia, am51 and mercia, I wonder, to say nothing of Anna. All living it up elsewhere, I suppose. Sybarites, all ?
                    Sybarites, You referring to Our Merry Band Ducky but single me out? Well, to be honest, I've been engrossed in research, but I do not know where everyone else has disappeared to. However, the mb has been very quiet over the past few days in all subjects so I think we just have to wait for the hiatus to wash over us and the thread will emerge triumphant once again! That's poetic, innit?

Comment

Sybarites
                      I have actually been to Sybaris. Good Lord, but it's a desolate place now! - it must have been better in the 6th century BC... I like the following, from our chum wiki -

"The word Sybaritic has become a byword meaning extreme luxury and a seeking for pleasure and comfort. One story (mentioned in Samuel Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language, 1755) has a Sybarite sleeping on a bed of rose petals, but unable to get to sleep because one of the petals was folded over. The best known anecdote of the Sybarites is of their defeat in battle. It is told that to amuse themselves the Sybarite cavalrymen trained their horses to dance to pipe music. Armed with pipes, an invading army from nearby Crotonia assailed the Sybarite cavalry with music. The attacking forces easily passed through the dancing horses and their helpless riders, and conquered the city."

Comment

Evidently, The Sybarites Ladies Drinking and Dining Society was of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge

Gosh! The things you learn! Lesbians at Cambridge?

Edit: I am offline now
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-05-11, 18:32.

Comment

so I think we just have to wait for the hiatus to wash over us
                          The hiatus has been particularly wet, but the sun is back with us now. I must admit I took slight umbrage at having my and Mercia's recent answering record examined by Ofca and thought, as maybe Mercia has, that it was best to lie low for a while.

Sadly, I've not been doing anything particularly sybaritic, apart from a few pints in the pub last night. At the end of our pub quiz they always have a stupid question to which the answer is a large number, and the nearest guess wins a cash prize. So yesterday it was the number of chapters in the Authorised version of the Bible. I guessed 1,189 and do you know what....?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            The hiatus has been particularly wet, but the sun is back with us now. I must admit I took slight umbrage at having my and Mercia's recent answering record examined by Ofca and thought, as maybe Mercia has, that it was best to lie low for a while.

Sadly, I've not been doing anything particularly sybaritic, apart from a few pints in the pub last night. At the end of our pub quiz they always have a stupid question to which the answer is a large number, and the nearest guess wins a cash prize. So yesterday it was the number of chapters in the Authorised version of the Bible. I guessed 1,189 and do you know what....?
                            Oh yes, and you realsied that there are 1198 chapters which together have 30857 verses. Oh yes. he did. Very JeJeune, inne?

Comment

I thought everyone knew that, rubbernecker.

Good to see you back, anyway. I did wonder whether or not the quietness of the board was related to the event you named but it is over now.

I hope that mercia and the others return soon.

Comment

Evidently, The Sybarites Ladies Drinking and Dining Society,,, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
                                Anna - do tell! - was you a Member???

Comment

Working...
                                X