This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a treat Caliba!! - moissi beauchamps of you

A very interesting quotation from Proust, vinteuil - I especially enjoyed Proust's confession that Saint-Saens is a composer 'I don't care for'

I recall reading in a biography of Saint-Saens that a friend discreetly asked S-S (not Simon-Says I hasten to say) if it was true that he (S-S) was a paedophile?

"No!" replied the great man " Not a paedophile - a pederast!"

I like to think that he said pederast very loudly, causing much consternation and social flutterin'.

Rather like the time when Alan Clark (the MP not the film maker with an 'e') was accused of being a Fascist. His reply went something like:

" People say that I'm a Fascist but I'm not. Fascists are shopkeepers. I'm a Nazi!"

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      What a treat Caliba!! - moissi beauchamps of you

A very interesting quotation from Proust, vinteuil - I especially enjoyed Proust's confession that Saint-Saens is a composer 'I don't care for'

I recall reading in a biography of Saint-Saens that a friend discreetly asked S-S (not Simon-Says I hasten to say) if it was true that he (S-S) was a paedophile?

"No!" replied the great man " Not a paedophile - a pederast!"

I like to think that he said pederast very loudly, causing much consternation and social flutterin'.

Rather like the time when Alan Clark (the MP not the film maker with an 'e') was accused of being a Fascist. His reply went something like:

" People say that I'm a Fascist but I'm not. Fascists are shopkeepers. I'm a Nazi!"
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

My week from Hell continues and I have popped up Rubbers-style
        Ooh, are those Barristers' Clerks from Hell making you work for a full day Ducky instead of sloping off for three hour lunches?

Talking of Rubbers popping up, I treated myself to the second Jules & Sand cd, listening now for the first time, laughing out loud, brilliant! Thanks to whowever (cannot remember now) who recommended them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I treated myself to the second Jules & Sand cd, listening now for the first time
          A wergin! How sweet!

They're a bit like chocolates. Are you dipping in, or taking it all in one go?

I'm about to embark on Richard Adeney's Flute, as recommended by ammy.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            A wergin! How sweet!

They're a bit like chocolates. Are you dipping in, or taking it all in one go?

Good show, rubbers - I hope you enjoy it.

It's got some good tales in it, some of which have shocked the orchestral stormtroopers on here

It's also notable for a very frank account of the mental health consquences of growing up and trying to be yourself as a gay man in the days before Stonewall (the riots not the well-known gala-giving outfit ).

Comment

Ooh! Inee bold I now imagine you as butch, but questing, in the embouchure department.

Comment

Ooh, are those Barristers' Clerks from Hell making you work for a full day Ducky instead of sloping off for three hour lunches?

Talking of Rubbers popping up, I treated myself to the second Jules & Sand cd, listening now for the first time, laughing out loud, brilliant! Thanks to whowever (cannot remember now) who recommended them.
                Brilliant is the word, Anna - they come up as fresh as paint, don't they

Have you made a start on Kenny's diaries yet, Anna? You'll be ok while the sun's still shining

Comment

Ooh! Inee bold I now imagine you as butch, but questing, in the embouchure department.
                  Oh 'is flutter-tongueing Mr 'Orne, you just have to marvel at it -marvel at it, you do - those lips, one minute licking a stamp, next minute demonstrating a God-given technique. God-given, that's what it is, innit Jules? He's a man widely admired up the Earl's Court Road for his flutter work, tell Mr 'Orne yourself, Sands don't hold back

Comment

Brilliant is the word, Anna - they come up as fresh as paint, don't they

Have you made a start on Kenny's diaries yet, Anna? You'll be ok while the sun's still shining
                    Still waiting for the Diaries to arrive but I am aware of Kenneth's tortured life but the Jules & Sand cds, yes, fresh as paint as you say. Did you ever see Michael Sheen in Fantabulosa?

Comment

Oh 'is flutter-tongueing Mr 'Orne, you just have to marvel at it -marvel at it, you do - those lips, one minute licking a stamp, next minute demonstrating a God-given technique. God-given, that's what it is, innit Jules? He's a man widely admired up the Earl's Court Road for his flutter work, tell Mr 'Orne yourself, Sands don't hold back

...and 'is circular breathing 'ad to be seen to be believed!

Comment

...and 'is circular breathing 'ad to be seen to be believed!
                        His circular breathing classes have changed the lives of many a lesbian lady, Mr'Orne - he is held in high esteem amongst the Sapphic Sistren but he won't talk about .... will you? .... see? ... modesty is his middle name

Comment

His circular breathing classes have changed the lives of many a lesbian lady, Mr'Orne - he is held in high esteem amongst the Sapphic Sistren but he won't talk about .... will you? .... see? ... modesty is his middle name
                          The only circular breathing I learnt was when I took up the didgeridoo in Australia, whereby you have to blow and vibrate at the same time. Is this getting very off topic? Come on Taps with your W

Comment

The only circular breathing I learnt was when I took up the didgeridoo in Australia, whereby you have to blow and vibrate at the same time
                            I have never taken it up, the didgeridoo, I mean.

Comment

Still waiting for the Diaries to arrive but I am aware of Kenneth's tortured life but the Jules & Sand cds, yes, fresh as paint as you say. Did you ever see Michael Sheen in Fantabulosa?
                              I did indeed, Anna an amazing impersonation, not only by Michael Sheen but also by Cheryl Campbell as his mum Lou.

I have heard ...

Lou ran a hairdresser's with her overbearing taciturn husband, Ken's dad. She looked after the customers as they waited, dealt with the money & made the place tick. One day a customer was bragging about her new telly, a big shiny up-to-the-minute dazzler.

"Its a fourteen inch console, Mrs Williams"

"Well fourteen inches would be quite enough consolation for anyone" retorted Lou, and the place exploded in mirth

You can see where Ken learned his skills as a raconteur, with a fine nose for the mot juste

Comment

I have never taken it up, the didgeridoo, I mean.
                                I tried it once but soon realised it was really a didgereedon't

Comment

Working...
                                X