X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
    Having been there twiddling my thumbs day after day( actually reading, knitting and meeting marvelous yet similarly tired other parents ) in the often tedious lonely process of waiting for a child at music camp, I offer this in the Baltic Sea.

Visby, Gotland, Sweden an island.
    I think the Baltic Sea Festival takes place in the Berwaldhallen in Stokholm. (Another B, including a Berwald reference). Does Visby have a musical connection?

Comment

• Simon

Well I clearly get these either too hard or too easy, so I'll give the answers and let someone else either redo a B if they have a good one, or go on to C.

The first "stopgap" was sort of coded thing as I said: it starts with Eisenach and ends with Leipzig. The places where JSB lived!

The "real" B question's answer is B flat! In all these countries, B is B flat, and B natural is of course H. The clue in the question was the word "level".

Sorry it wasn't more fun! As your answer was clever, Don, as i think we'd all agree, how about continuing?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Well I clearly get these either too hard or too easy, so I'll give the answers and let someone else either redo a B if they have a good one, or go on to C.

The first "stopgap" was sort of coded thing as I said: it starts with Eisenach and ends with Leipzig. The places where JSB lived!

The "real" B question's answer is B flat! In all these countries, B is B flat, and B natural is of course H. The clue in the question was the word "level".

Sorry it wasn't more fun! As your answer was clever, Don, as i think we'd all agree, how about continuing?

I had to go back to find the word 'level', which I find was in the precursor rather than the question. Therefore when you said there was a significant word in the question all I could find was 'common'. so started thinking of common borders, etc. Strangely enough, I had thought of music notation, but got bogged down with B being H, and quite forgot the B-Bflat corollary, and since I couldn't work an H in anywhere gave up that line.

Ok for concocting a C question, if you like - I'll have a think, and try to keep it simple. (I might even put the answer in the question, but it will be backwards, so you won't notice.)

I thought EOLWAMWKL was quite a hard one.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

[QUOTE=Simon;21865]

'B natural is of course H'. Could you explain, please?

Comment

• Don Petter

Here we go, an easy one (as we all say):

What C might be brought to mind by seeing two goats then finding some refreshment on the mountain, before returning to a peaceful conurbation?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

What C might be brought to mind by seeing two goats then finding some refreshment on the mountain, before returning to a peaceful conurbation?
              Cannabis?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Cannabis?
                No thanks. I can get quite convoluted without.

The topic is musical.

Comment

• Simon

'B natural is of course H'. Could you explain, please?
                  Here's a link that does it clearly, Offa. Go down to the big table and then look at the "natural" notes, on the "northern europe" row.

You'll see that they describe the 7th (B in a C scale) as H, not B.

Hence their ability to write a tune on Bach's name, as although their B is what we would notate as Bb, they have the H which we don't!

Last edited by Guest; 09-01-11, 20:34.

Comment

• rubbernecker

OK, I'm there. It was a fairly simple gift of a question, but I'll hold my horses and let someone else have a go.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      OK, I'm there. It was a fairly simple gift of a question, but I'll hold my horses and let someone else have a go.
                      You've got it, rn. I was trying to be fairly straightforward in view of all the various machinations we've been through lately. Let's see if any others get it, to squeeze a bit more value for a while. (You can probably start thinking about your D.)

Will Simon and ofca think it was pitched at an acceptable level, I wonder?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The combination of 'peaceful conurbation' (= Quiet City?) and 'simple gift' (Appalachian Spring?) suggests Copland, but I guess I'm just too thick to work out where the goats and mountain refreshment come in. I'm reminded of the famous sketch from 'The Frost Report' - I'm the Ronnie Corbett character who knows his place!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          The combination of 'peaceful conurbation' (= Quiet City?) and 'simple gift' (Appalachian Spring?) suggests Copland, but I guess I'm just too thick to work out where the goats and mountain refreshment come in. I'm reminded of the famous sketch from 'The Frost Report' - I'm the Ronnie Corbett character who knows his place!
                          You've pretty much got it! But simple gift was not in my question, but in rubber's answer! Appalachian Spring is indeed there - once you've got that you're only left with the two goats to identify!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                            Given Copland, then I would suggest "Billy" the "Kid" = two goats, and Appalachian Spring is the refreshment on the mountain.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Given Copland, then I would suggest "Billy" the "Kid" = two goats, and Appalachian Spring is the refreshment on the mountain.
                              All correct! Rubber can now proceed with D at his convenience ...

Comment

• rubbernecker

All correct! Rubber can now proceed with D at his convenience ...
                                I haven't thought about a D. Ofca, do you want a go?

Comment

Working...
                                X