Eeeek!

York Bowen?

York Bowen also wrote a curiosity suite

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Eeeek!

York Bowen?
      'fraid so

hazard a guess at those other two works?

EDIT: Curiosity Suite - correct

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        'fraid so

hazard a guess at those other two works?

EDIT: Curiosity Suite - correct
        Ammy: only one word for it! BOLD!

Good question, mercs - elusive yet leaving the impression that it was staring one in the face all along...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

oh well, the Y has been reached

so an A or Z to amateur51

my last York Bowen work is "We Two"

Comment

I only ever had one York Bowen cd, can't remember what it was now as I gave it away.

Anyroadup, I won't be around this evening after 8pm to see what Ams has set - it's my annual Eurovision Party - yes I know that sounds a bit camp but it's tremendous fun, particularly when the scoring starts! I also quite like Graham Norton commentating. I have made a vat of chilli and there will be plenty of garlic bread, red wine, and possibly some ribald humour, particularly concerning Jedward. I assume no-one else here will have such base tastes and will be watching?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I only ever had one York Bowen cd, can't remember what it was now as I gave it away.

Anyroadup, I won't be around this evening after 8pm to see what Ams has set - it's my annual Eurovision Party - yes I know that sounds a bit camp but it's tremendous fun, particularly when the scoring starts! I also quite like Graham Norton commentating. I have made a vat of chilli and there will be plenty of garlic bread, red wine, and possibly some ribald humour, particularly concerning Jedward. I assume no-one else here will have such base tastes and will be watching?
              You over-estimate me, madam!

I shall be a-watching as every year.

I have it on very good authority that Azerbaijan is the team to watch this year - remember, you heard it here first!

As for 'yes I know that sounds a bit camp ...' - a bit camp?

As Enoch Powell might have said "Camp as tits, my dear and all the better for that"

Comment

Right!

An extremely potent fictional sweetmeat

A feminist actor/singer whose early career highlights included supporting a latter-day TV detective on stage in a hit musical, and whose career became truly golden in later life

A librettist for an apparently one-man comic opera by a contemporary of Max and Harry

What A connects them?

The first clue is non-musical, t'other two are musical.

I always run & hide when I know that mercia is about, waiting to pounce on me clues

Comment

You know what Ams? The more I know you, the more I love you! We shall certainly look out for Azarbaijan but were disappointed that International Dana didin't make it!

Comment

You over-estimate me, madam!

I shall be a-watching as every year.

I have it on very good authority that Azerbaijan is the team to watch this year - remember, you heard it here first!

As for 'yes I know that sounds a bit camp ...' - a bit camp?

As Enoch Powell might have said "Camp as tits, my dear and all the better for that"
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      You know what Ams? The more I know you, the more I love you! We shall certainly look out for Azarbaijan but were disappointed that International Dana didin't make it!
                      For verily, this the power of Eurovision - it bringeth the peoples together and lo! It even maketh Israel to be part of Europe.

A great shame about Dana International (ahem!), Anna

Comment

A great shame about Dana International (ahem!), Anna
                        Oh, well, her, she trolls around a bit don't she?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
                          no pouncing on clues tonight, I promise
                          Ha! Another closet Eurovision fan! The ones that stick in my memory were the Icelanders, Lordi, and the lesbian Roma Marija Serifovic, although what happened to either of them I have no idea.

Comment

Not sure about the sweetmeat clue but

the second is Beatrice Arthur, one of the late great Golden Girls

and number three is Arthur Jacobs who wrote the libretto for Nicholas Maw's One-Man Show, a comic opera.

I'll do a bit more thinking about the sweetmeats.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                              Not sure about the sweetmeat clue but

the second is Beatrice Arthur, one of the late great Golden Girls

and number three is Arthur Jacobs who wrote the libretto for Nicholas Maw's One-Man Show, a comic opera.

I'll do a bit more thinking about the sweetmeats.
                              You've done very well so far, Angle - you're right about Bea Arthur - could you flesh out a little bit about the TV detective whom she supported in a musical hit, perhaps?

And you were spot-on with Arthur Jacobs

About the sweetmeats, I'll let you dangle, Angle

Comment

I suppose that I should say that before her best known role as Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls, Beatrice Arthur played the stage role of Vera Charles in Auntie Mame with Angela Lansbury (later TV detective whose name I have forgotten). She also played Vera Charles in the terrible film version with Lucille Ball as Mame, but she had the best line: "Oh, my God, how can you see with all that light?" uttered when Mame, I think, drew back the curtains in her bedroom at around two in the afternoon. I hope I am right about this line for I suppose it might have been in the Rosalind Russell version with someone else playing Vera.

Whatever: the Man in the Moon is a Lady.

Comment

Working...
                                X