This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Well done Angle, and how was your concert in Birmingham?

Just escaping for 5 mins from Euro, OMG. it has to Moldava, we haven't laughed so much for ages!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well done Angle, and how was your concert in Birmingham?

Just escaping for 5 mins from Euro, OMG. it has to Moldava, we haven't laughed so much for ages!!
      Are you a closet Jedward fan, Anna???
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        I suppose that I should say that before her best known role as Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls, Beatrice Arthur played the stage role of Vera Charles in Auntie Mame with Angela Lansbury (later TV detective whose name I have forgotten). She also played Vera Charles in the terrible film version with Lucille Ball as Mame, but she had the best line: "Oh, my God, how can you see with all that light?" uttered when Mame, I think, drew back the curtains in her bedroom at around two in the afternoon. I hope I am right about this line for I suppose it might have been in the Rosalind Russell version with someone else playing Vera.

Whatever: the Man in the Moon is a Lady.
        Very good, Angle!!

Here Bea kids with Jerry Herman and sings the song that stopped the show every night.

The TV tec is Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote, with Angela Lansbury, as you say

Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur doing the classic duet from Mame

So ... you've got two musical Arthurs - who can the third non-musical Arthur be, who is associated with an extremely potent fictional sweetmeat?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Are you a closet Jedward fan, Anna???
          Well, you may think that, I couldn't possibly comment!

My favourites so far are France, Italy, Moldava and Austria.

Come on Ducks, admit it, you are watching as well aren't you?
          Last edited by Guest; 14-05-11, 21:49. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Angle
            • Dec 2010

Arthur Rackham who illustrated Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? The stepmother hires a witch, who takes a basket of poisoned sweetmeats to the Snow White.
            King Arthur, in which the sweetmeat-laden Guinivere seduces Lancelot?
            Arthur Rimbaud?
            Arthur Conan Doyle?

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

The concert in Birmingham was excellent, Anna. The Dresden Staatskapelle is a very fine orchestra and played superbly under Eschebbach. The programme was quite conventional: Tchaikoveksy's Variations on a Rococco Theme and Brahms 1st Symphony, which was by the best performance I have heard of it, with quite brilliant string ensemble. It was disappointing that the hall was not full but very pleasing that the audience showed its appreciation fully and was rewarded with an encore: Overture, Prometheus played very "tightly". Magnificent.

Comment

• amateur51

Arthur Rackham who illustrated Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? The stepmother hires a witch, who takes a basket of poisoned sweetmeats to the Snow White.
                King Arthur, in which the sweetmeat-laden Guinivere seduces Lancelot?
                Arthur Rimbaud?
                Arthur Conan Doyle?
                All wonderful possibilities Angle, but not what I had in mind.

You deserve a clue - the actor associated with this sweetmeat was in Corrie in the 60s and this led to not one but two spin-off series. However, the sweetmeat association was in yet a different series

Comment

• Anna

I think Arthur Lowe was in Corrie? Oops, voting now starts, gotta go!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Come on Ducks, admit it, you are watching as well aren't you?

Actually the first half hour or so was on, but after 7 or 8 songs it went off. Norton's mordant quippery is amusing, but I had other fish to fry.

Just flicked it back on and saw some über-leaden German "humour" from the gurning host

Might keep the scoring on now, as the music's over *phew*

EDIT: United Kingdom leading at this point ... Didn't hear our song, any good?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I think Arthur Lowe was in Corrie? Oops, voting now starts, gotta go!
                      Indeed, the sleazy Leonard Swindley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-gdC34rlU

Arthur Lowe is one of my top heroes

Comment

• amateur51

Now then, boys & girls, you are cooking on gas - Arthur Lowe as Leonard Swindley from Corrie.

BUT what is the extremely potent fictional sweetmeat connection from another series, a different character?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Actually the first half hour or so was on, but after 7 or 8 songs it went off. Norton's mordant quippery is amusing, but I had other fish to fry.

Just flicked it back on and saw some über-leaden German "humour" from the gurning host

Might keep the scoring on now, as the music's over *phew*

EDIT: United Kingdom leading at this point ... Didn't hear our song, any good?
                          C'mon, I said, c'mon Azerbaijan!!

I was going to have £1 on Azerbaijan but the lad at Paddy Power in Willesden was .... Eurovision-uninformed

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

"An extremely potent fictional sweetmeat

" the actor associated with this sweetmeat was in Corrie in the 60s and this led to not one but two spin-off series. However, the sweetmeat association was in yet a different series"

We seem to be looking for a sweetmeat beginning with A and a connection with an actor in Coronation Street whose name might not begin with A.

An "A" sweetmeat connected with Arthur Lowe? I am stumped.
                            Last edited by Angle; 14-05-11, 23:16.

Comment

• Angle
                              • Dec 2010

I didn't know exactly where Azerbeijan was until tonight. It's not on my holiday list, either.

Comment

• amateur51

"An extremely potent fictional sweetmeat

" the actor associated with this sweetmeat was in Corrie in the 60s and this led to not one but two spin-off series. However, the sweetmeat association was in yet a different series"

We seem to be looking for a sweetmeat beginning with A and a connection with an actor in Coronation Street whose name might not begin with A.

An "A" sweetmeat connected with Arthur Lowe? I am stumped.
                                No, the sweetmeat does not begin with A - you've established that the character associated with said sweetmeat (how might he be so associated) was played by Arthur Lowe away from Coronation Street.

As an extra clue it was after he played Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army

Comment

Working...
                                X