X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

Then surely, Pottermints sweet company in Potter, a series of which I have never heard before.

....and that is my last guess. I am now at your mercy, am51; all yours.
    Last edited by Angle; 14-05-11, 23:53.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      C'mon, I said, c'mon Azerbaijan!!

I was going to have £1 on Azerbaijan but the lad at Paddy Power in Willesden was .... Eurovision-uninformed
      I had a quid on Italy, should have said win or place. Oh well, all good fun. Actually, the Azerbaijsn was rubbish wasn't it?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        Then surely, Pottermints sweet company in Potter, a series of which I have never heard before.
        Bang on, Angle you beauty!

Arthur Lowe as Redvers Potter of Pottermints - slogan "Pottermints the Hotter Mints!"

The B is yours Angle - many congrats

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I had a quid on Italy, should have said win or place. Oh well, all good fun. Actually, the Azerbaijsn was rubbish wasn't it?
          Rubbish?

Well that's what really counts in Eurovision, innit

Comment

• Angle
            • Dec 2010

That took some doing even with your help, Am, and with Eurovision in the background, too.

I hadn't realised that Arthur Lowe did any more television after Dad's Army.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Rubbish?

Well that's what really counts in Eurovision, innit
              Oh, I love it!! See you tomorrow xxx

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Indeed, the sleazy Leonard Swindley

Arthur Lowe is one of my top heroes
                Caliban, did you see the BBC biog of Arthur Lowe in their Reputations series which was repeated in 2008? I suddenly thought of it and find it's on YouTube in 5 episodes, well worth watching I think although rather sad

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by Guest; 15-05-11, 11:59.

Comment

• Angle
                  • Dec 2010

Apologies for the late start to the day. Now, not to be too taxing for the hour :

What B turned down two american bands, was celebrated gloriously in 1956 and began in Southampton Row?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Caliban, did you see the BBC biog of Arthur Lowe in their Reputations series which was repeated in 2008? I suddenly thought of it and find it's on YouTube in 5 episodes, well worth watching I think although rather sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH9iS...eature=related
                    Anna thanks for the link, but yes I did see it - indeed I have it saved on my video hard drive and have watched it several times, most recently with my dad (another Arthur Lowe fan) when he was staying at Easter. It is slightly sad, touching too, with his devotion to his wife holding back his career. She turned up as the tea room waitress in the 'Dad's Army' that was repeated on BBC2 yesterday. Dodgy actress!

I never saw the Potter programme though had heard of it. I wasn't aware that it was to do with confectionary. I assume it was on ITV which was rarely watched in our house when I was growing up - commercial TV and its rather 'proletarian' appeal was regarded with suspicion chez nous (indeed I thought ITV was actually inferior: 'Blue Peter' was far more classy than 'Magpie', 'Multi-Coloured Swap Shop' a cut or three above the vulgar 'Tiswas' and 'Generation Game' infinitely preferable to 'Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club'. I think I was rather a prig at the age of 11 :cool2.

Anyone spotted one of Arthur Lowe's first screen appearances, in the final scene of the sublime 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' (one of my Top Ten films), where he pops up as a reporter who greets Louis d'Ascoigne as he steps out of the prison door?

There's a blue plaque for Arthur Lowe outside his London flat fronting the canal in Maida Vale just off the Edgware Road.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I'm sorry I haven't had time today to even look at Angle's puzzler, Sunday tends to be a catch up with family day via BT's free phone calls. (My sister is off to Norway on Friday on the QE II to float round the fjords and one brother has just completed a creative writing course)

Caliban, I thought you might have seen the Arthur Lowe programme and I quite agree with your BBC v ITV comments! I am definitely a Blue Peter girl, why the things I learnt to do with a bit of sticky-back plastic!!! I've been watching Fantabulosa again prior to embarking on the Diaries which arrived yesterday. And this post has nothing to do with Alphabet Associatons but it's grey, spitty and dull here and I feel really lazy (or, as Marilyn Monroe would say 'positively supine' Ducky!

Comment

• amateur51

Apologies for the late start to the day. Now, not to be too taxing for the hour :

What B turned down two american bands, was celebrated gloriously in 1956 and began in Southampton Row?
                        John Barbirolli was born in Southampton Row, London.

He turned down his second contract with New York PO and an offer from Los Angeles PO.

In 1956 he gave the premiere of Vaughan Williams' Eighth symphony the score of which is inscribed "For glorious John, with love and admiration from Ralph."

Alongside Margaret Rutherford, JB is one of my heroes
                        Last edited by Guest; 15-05-11, 15:36. Reason: trypo galore

Comment

• Angle
                          • Dec 2010

Mine too, Am

Full steam ahead to C.

Someone else is reading the KW Diaries, Anna. Who is it? I don't remember but I am interested to know how he is getting on with them.

It is not spitting here on the banks of the Mersey, it is just cold, very grey and pouring down. Anyone want any water ?

Comment

• amateur51

Mine too, Am

Full steam ahead to C.

Someone else is reading the KW Diaries, Anna. Who is it? I don't remember but I am interested to know how he is getting on with them.

It is not spitting here on the banks of the Mersey, it is just cold, very grey and pouring down. Anyone want any water ?
                            Cheers Angle!

Here we go ....

What C ...

Did not recognise his wife when they were introduced many years after their divorce?

Was an American citizen and was living in the White House when he died?

Appeared in a film with Bette Davis?

Comment

• Anna

Not sure Angle, I think I am now Fantabulosaed out and will not embark on them for a while. Am's puzzle is intriguing, I just keep thinking of Oliver Sacks (i.e. hat+wife= unrecognisable) which is silly or Coolridge but he didn't die in the White House and as for Bette Davis, Crawford? I dunno. Just got a cd on now (how spooky, by someone called C), spitting has stopped, sun is out.

Edit: cd reminds me of love of me life so, I am reduced to goo and will retire in tears I expect. Oh, what a sentimentalist am I. No Hope Forgive me, I am now offline,
                              Last edited by Guest; 15-05-11, 18:59.

Comment

• amateur51

[QUOTE=amateur51;55096]Cheers Angle!

Here we go ....

What C ...

Did not recognise his wife when they were introduced many years after their divorce?

Was an American citizen and was living in the White House when he died?

Appeared in a film with Bette Davis?

Expanded clues:

He appeared with Davis but not visually

He was born in Odessa

Plus ... he once had to be chased off-stage at a Prom by Tod Handley

C'mon , let's be having you!

Comment

Working...
                                X