This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    ... I shall keep me E under wraps until the moment comes...
    o anna - have i squashed one of your Es?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      . Meanwhile I will go and sort my take on a famous Basque recipe.
      ... and I hope you have the appropriate irouleguy, pacherenc-du-vic-bilh, or txakoli to go with???

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        o anna - have i squashed one of your Es?
        Have you? I'm certainly having difficulty piercing yours, Vints. So far I've been toying with Empresses and Beethoven's 9th but not getting very far

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          Have you? I'm certainly having difficulty piercing yours, Vints. So far I've been toying with Empresses and Beethoven's 9th but not getting very far

... if it helps, I could also have added Greensleeves and one of the Treasure Seekers...

Comment

Nice to see the AA thread bubbling and burbling in energetic fashion on my return home

Glad you escaped injury, Rubbers A small law suit for nervous shock perhaps ? Did you get the ****hole's details?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              [
              Glad you escaped injury, Rubbers A small law suit for nervous shock perhaps ? Did you get the ****hole's details?
              Back in the 1920s lawyers made tidy sums from that useful condition 'traumatic neurasthenia'. But where is Sir Farquhar Buzzard when you need him?

Comment

I am stuck with two Ernsts but cannot make a third link.

Back to the drawing-board.

Comment

Coincidentally, he was driving a truck for Mrs R's employer! He clearly saw me as I was on his side of the cab about to filter right and he deliberately accelerated to try and squeeze past, pushing me into the wing mirror of another car also trying to turn right. I managed to retain my balance and my cool, but I still gave him an earful while gently turning back the displaced mirror on the other car.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                    I am stuck with two Ernsts but cannot make a third link.

Back to the drawing-board.
                    no, not Ernst...

Poppea,
                    Rosenkavalier,
                    February 1824,
                    Greensleeves,
                    one of the Treasure Seekers...

More clues if needed tomorrow - I'm for bed!

Comment

It's been a busy day for me, what with haring off to Southwark Cathedral to hear a friend play a Chopin Prelude as part of his piano class's concert this afternoon, and before that to take a look around my old stomping ground, London Bridge.

The railway station - totally changed

The tube station - likewise

Guy's Hospital Medical School - now King's College

And that Shard thingo that's going up, going to be way taller than Guy's Tower from the top of which in the early 1970s I used to watch Southern Region trains coming in from Kent like the biggest train layout you've ever seen.

Still the fabulous George Inn is still there abnd serving up a great pint of Abbott so I was a happy bunny - just the thing to fortify a chap before going to listen to some Chopin interpretations

All of which is by a way of a preface to my saying - night night - early night for me!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Still the fabulous George Inn is still there and serving up a great pint of Abbott so I was a happy bunny
                        In the winter, I like to go over there at lunchtime during the week on a quiet day, with a volume of Dickens or Conan Doyle, and sit in one of the snugs near a fire, for a pint, a pie and a good old atmospheric read for an hour or so...

Also in that neck of the woods, Borough Market just over the road is terrific, did you pop in there? Great free tasters of cheese and cured meats. A friend of mine had a stall in there selling produce from Orkney, I used to pop in and hang out with her and the various market characters who hovered around (very pretty girl she is!). Plus a wonderful coffee from Monmouth Coffee Fantastic area. I seem to recall some terrific Bach Cantatas in the company of Rubbers and Mrs R some years back, played by JEG and the EBS.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

In the winter, I like to go over there at lunchtime during the week on a quiet day, with a volume of Dickens or Conan Doyle, and sit in one of the snugs near a fire, for a pint, a pie and a good old atmospheric read for an hour or so...
                          And, with that vivid image of a most singular gentleman imprinted on my mind. I retire. Hopefully to dream...........

Incidentally, my Basque receipt is a take on Piperade. Halve red and yellow peppers, fill with cherry toms, drizzle some virgin and balsamic, season, roast for a while, lay over some Bayonne Ham for another while then crack over a couple of large eggs and finish off until the eggs are set.

Comment

unable to sleep so I've got up to look at AA

wondering if E could be Eight

Henry 8, Octavia (Poppea), Horace Octavius (Treasure Seeker), Octavian

not sure what happened in Feb 1824 though, except it was a leap year

EDIT Schubert's Octet dates from Spring 1824?
                            Last edited by mercia; 18-05-11, 04:58.

Comment

Mercia - well done you - correct in all parts!

Give us all an F- good one...

Comment

oh, ok, thanks
                                (p.s. loved the E question)

an F to connect

- Haydn in A
                                - Kunrad kisses Diemut
                                - Eurovision '78
                                - Toscanini "This is murder" (actually haemorrhoids)
                                - 34a
                                Last edited by mercia; 18-05-11, 08:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X