This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    And, with that vivid image of a most singular gentleman imprinted on my mind. I retire. Hopefully to dream...........

Incidentally, my Basque receipt is a take on Piperade. Halve red and yellow peppers, fill with cherry toms, drizzle some virgin and balsamic, season, roast for a while, lay over some Bayonne Ham for another while then crack over a couple of large eggs and finish off until the eggs are set.
    Oh deepjoy, Anna!

There's a street market in Wood Green that last week was selling hooge boxes of mushrooms, vibrantly yellow peppers and both cherry tomatoes and pomodoro tomatoes for £1/box

Must pop back there, stock up & give your Basquaise a go, Anna

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      In the winter, I like to go over there at lunchtime during the week on a quiet day, with a volume of Dickens or Conan Doyle, and sit in one of the snugs near a fire, for a pint, a pie and a good old atmospheric read for an hour or so...

Also in that neck of the woods, Borough Market just over the road is terrific, did you pop in there? Great free tasters of cheese and cured meats. A friend of mine had a stall in there selling produce from Orkney, I used to pop in and hang out with her and the various market characters who hovered around (very pretty girl she is!). Plus a wonderful coffee from Monmouth Coffee Fantastic area. I seem to recall some terrific Bach Cantatas in the company of Rubbers and Mrs R some years back, played by JEG and the EBS.
      I didn't dare go to the Borough Market area, Caliban cos I'm fully reigned back on the ££ front at the mo - my own fault

But I know the market, and a wonderful place it is too.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        unable to sleep so I've got up to look at AA

wondering if E could be Eight

Henry 8, Octavia (Poppea), Horace Octavius (Treasure Seeker), Octavian

not sure what happened in Feb 1824 though, except it was a leap year

EDIT Schubert's Octet dates from Spring 1824?
        Triffic stuff, mercia!

You're the kinda guy/gal who'd have been locked into Bletchley Park during WWII V. impressive!
        Last edited by Guest; 18-05-11, 07:30. Reason: too many'been's

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
          tee-hee, somebody's favourite piece on breakfast now, the Nutcracker pas de deux - <big laugh>
          Great work during the early hours on "E" mercia, but cruel, cruel about the Ballbreaker pas de deux !!!!

Un-mercia-ful, thou art! I groped instantly for the remote, with an oath, and off it went - now some nice Handel arias are on from a previous CD Review....

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          And, with that vivid image of a most singular gentleman imprinted on my mind. I retire.
          Anna, the other place I love to go in the winter from the office if work permits a long hour at lunchtime, apart from the George, is Leadenhall Market - amazing iron structure, with lovely pubs and little stalls. It's where Mr Pickwick and Sam Weller meet in Dickens's novel, I seem to recall. So nice to toddle to those old city places and have a calm hour amid the legal day!!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

E kept me up late and when I did get to bed, had me dreaming but without success. A good one, though. A very good one.

I like your F very much, mercia, but "refuse without sybilance" to answer it yet as I have no time to set a new puzzle right now. I hope that someone else gets it before I get back.

Comment

Great work during the early hours on "E" mercia, but cruel, cruel about the Ballbreaker pas de deux !!!!

Un-mercia-ful, thou art! I groped instantly for the remote, with an oath, and off it went - now some nice Handel arias are on from a previous CD Review....

Anna, the other place I love to go in the winter from the office if work permits a long hour at lunchtime, apart from the George, is Leadenhall Market - amazing iron structure, with lovely pubs and little stalls. It's where Mr Pickwick and Sam Weller meet in Dickens's novel, I seem to recall. So nice to toddle to those old city places and have a calm hour amid the legal day!!
              In 1977m not long after I'd 'come out', it was the Queen's Silver Jubbly and we all had a bank holiday - yay!!

A few days earlier was Derby Day and, little scamp that I am, I put a modest amount of money on Lester Piglet - what a ducker & diver I was :laugh - and I won a modest shedload.

So I invited some chums round for meal and I tottered off to Leadenhall Market (I was living at Guy's Hospital London Bridge at the time). There I bought a pukka fresh salmon trout, a pineapple, two bottles of good Chablis and a miniature of kirsch Oh how we feasted!

I agree Caliban - Leadenhall Market is a special place, an oasis of calm epicureanism in the City

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                an F to connect

- Haydn in A
                - Kunrad kisses Diemut
                - Eurovision '78
                - Toscanini "This is murder" (actually haemorrhoids)
                - 34a
                OK, I'll bite:

Feuer

Haydn Symphony No.59
                R Strauss Feuersnot
                Feuer sung by Ireen Sheer
                Toscanini's reported comment while carrying cellist Emanuel Feuermann's coffin
                Bach Cantata BWV34a 'O Ewiges Feuer'

Comment

A G with connections to Latvia, Frankfurt and, by association, to the Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I didn't dare go to the Borough Market area, Caliban cos I'm fully reigned back on the ££ front at the mo - my own fault
                    I almost never buy anything there, I wander round in a pleasurable stupor and can't decide what to get so usually emerge with nothing

Comment

I almost never buy anything there, I wander round in a pleasurable stupor and can't decide what to get so usually emerge with nothing
                      And wasn't it much the same story in those now infamous low countries fleshpots ?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        And wasn't it much the same story in those now infamous low countries fleshpots ?
                        Precisely analogous, Mr Rubberlicker!

Comment

"refuse without sybilance"
                          = feuer

G yet ?

Ah, says he turning back a page, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            A G with connections to Latvia, Frankfurt and, by association, to the Rock.
                            ... Frankfurt-am-Main or Frankfurt-an-der-Oder? or something else altogether??

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... Frankfurt-am-Main or Frankfurt-an-der-Oder? or something else altogether??
                              Damned pedants. Am Main, and since I have very soon to absent myself for the rest of the day and evening, I'll tell you it's the opera house in particular.

You have 15 mins. to solve it!

Comment

Unfortunately I must now go, but I will try and look in later tonight. If you want to move on, feel free

Comment

Working...
                                X