This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks as if Ofca's not coming back tonight, so here is a D question:

What fearsome-sounding, but musical, D family included a Hollywood Carmen, a Captain and a Celestial harpist?

Comment

Drake, Draco. Though I can't get the Carmen bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Drake, Draco. Though I can't get the Carmen bit!
        No, all three share the same surname.
        (a) was a (male) conductor (now deceased) of a famous US orchestra;
        (b) is his son, one half of a popular singing duo;
        (c) is his daughter who has the same christian and surname as her father

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          No, all three share the same surname.
          (a) was a (male) conductor (now deceased) of a famous US orchestra;
          (b) is his son, one half of a popular singing duo;
          (c) is his daughter who has the same christian and surname as her father
          You seem to have omitted that the daughter is also now deceased. There is also another musical son.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            You seem to have omitted that the daughter is also now deceased. There is also another musical son.
            Indeed scb, I see she died last year. Apologies. (The other son did not figure in my chosen trio).

As I am about to depart for the local pub quiz and will be incommunicado for the next few hours, I wonder if I could prevail upon scb (who appears to 'be there') to act as referee in my absence and not to let this drag on longer than necessary...

EDIT: Hercule is there, too

Comment

Is it me, or do I detect a slight waning in appetite for participation in this thread? With the demise of the Classical Associations thread I thought we might have expected a modest migration here.

I logged on in the perhaps naive expectation of hoping that we were now on E or F. Anyway, for those interested, the answer is Dragon. Carmen Dragon was a notable conductor of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and his son Daryl was one half of The Captain and Tenille. If you google the 'word cloud' of the four capitalised words in the original clue it takes you straight to the Wikipedia entry on Carmen Dragon Snr. where you can read more about the family (if anyone's interested...)

scb, would you like to give us an E (for enthusiasm)?

Comment

Is it me, or do I detect a slight waning in appetite for participation in this thread? With the demise of the Classical Associations thread I thought we might have expected a modest migration here.
                I've been a bit busy of late. It's too easy to let this Forum take up too much of one's time (for the best reasons). That and my resolve to 'think it over' rather than leap into Google meant that I wasn't over-enthused with D. Perhaps a good E will perk us all up again?

Comment

Well, like all things new, one tends to give them more attention, and now it's not so new, other things crop up to attract. Plus, if you're like me, the work is building up again!!! I'm quite happy, personally, to dip in and out and let the thread meander along, hopefully steadily, with some I can do and some I can't, but generally learning from it too. Whether the letters change twice daily or twice weekly is of no real moment to me.

But whatever happens, it's been really pleasant "working" with all you guys on here - a friendly, cheerful, witty and knowledgeable group, IMO. Shame we can't all meet up for a pint in real life.

S-S!
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-01-11, 11:44.

Comment

scb, would you like to give us an E (for enthusiasm)?
                    OK. Try this:

What E (with variant spellings) links a Parisian pedestrian, an English viola player, and an Austrian Hollywood pioneer?

Comment

OK. Try this:

What E (with variant spellings) links a Parisian pedestrian, an English viola player, and an Austrian Hollywood pioneer?
                      respectively Erik, Eric, and Erich...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        respectively Erik, Eric, and Erich...
                        You could elaborate (and the first has two spellings: he was originally Éric).

Comment

You could elaborate (and the first has two spellings: he was originally Éric).
                          -

I was thinking of E Satie, who promenaded with a lobster - E Coates who composed as well as playing the vla - and E Korngold who went to Hollywood to do music for the fillums?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            Well, like all things new, one tends to give them more attention, and now it's not so new, other things crop up to attract. Plus, if you're like me, the work is building up again!!! I'm quite happy, personally, to dip in and out and let the thread meander along, hopefully steadily, with some I can do and some I can't, but generally learning from it too. Whether the letters change twice daily or twice weekly is of no real moment to me.

But whatever happens, it's been really pleasant "working" with all you guys on here - a friendly, cheerful, witty and knowledgeable group, IMO. Shame we can't all meet up for a pint in real life.

S-S!
                            Same here!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              -

I was thinking of E Satie, who promenaded with a lobster - E Coates who composed as well as playing the vla - and E Korngold who went to Hollywood to do music for the fillums?
                              That's the set. Over to you for an F.

Comment

OK. Try this:

Just about a perfectly-pitched question I thought... Enough to make one think, not too cryptic, and not so obscure as to send one scrabbling for medication
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X