X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, I didn't see that. Yes, Haydn.

Mercia the I is yours.

Now going off line until later this afternoon.

Have a pleasant day, mercia and rubbernecker.

Comment

Might as well post the whole lot:

Alphabet Associations
      Previous answers – posts #0001 to#6318

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron, Albrecht, Arms, AGM, Albeniz, Armenia, Alphabet, Arthur
      B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein, Bar, Bert, Bartholemew, Bosanquet, Bluebird, Blow, Barbirolli
      C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation, Clarinet, Cantata, Catherine, Cypress, Cherry, Carissima, Cherkassky
      D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don, Death, Dowland, Diomede, Desafinado, Diamond, Delius, Dmitri
      E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, ‘E’, Elgar, Enharmonic, Ennio, Ernest, Echo, Etoiles, Ebony, Eight
      F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Fauré, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five, Fancy, Four, Ferrier, Faust, Fountain
      G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, Georg, Gerusalemme, Gaspard, Glass, Goat (Capriccio), Granados, Grofe, Galliard. Garanča
      H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday, Howard, Horn, Half, Herring, Hugo, Herbert, Hymn
      I Indian, Invicta, Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes, Irving, Ibert, Innocence, Ippolitov-Ivanov, Istomen, Ice
      J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter, Jeune, Jones/Jonas, Jacquet, Judith, Jenny, Jeux
      K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold, Kinder, Kostelanetz, Kraus, Krieger, Kellogg, Kallinikov
      L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric, Lorelei, Lamb, Leonora, Low, Largo, Lutoslawski
      M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic, Mandarin, Melodrama, Mountain, Mazeppa, Medtner, Menotti
      N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne, Night, Nash, Nixon, Nelson, Nordheim, Navarra
      O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach, Ophicleide, Oxford, Ockeghem, O, Oberon, Odour
      P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac,Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet, Peter, Pierre, Palindrome, Piper, Pizzetti, Patience
      Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen, Quest, Quaker, Quattro
      R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm, Ricci, River, Rock, Robert, Reich, Rankl
      S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver, Striggio, Susanna, Salomon, Soler, Serenade, Simon
      T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo, Tasso, TV documentaries, Taneyev, Twinkle, Tatiana, Trousers
      U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown, Unstern, Ullman, Uber, Uncle, Uchida, Ulster
      V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola, Velvet, Voltaire, Village, Vera, Violet, Vinteuil
      W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter (2), Wenlock, Williams, S Wagner, Whale, Witold, Wells, Wolf
      X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, Xi, Xerxes
      Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Yung, Year, Youth, Yes, York
      Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero (2), Zoo, Zemlinsky, Zarzuela, Zoroaster, Zoltan

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        I don't think I shall hear much of Classical Collection either. Without Sarah Walker, I would enjoy it but the flatness of her voice really gets me down.

I used to find her unlistenable-to, largely because of her adjectival diarrhoea rather than her loose vowels... She seems to have improved lately, toned it down. I listen more often.

Interesting that they have taken to the idea of the little Associations game on a Thursday (bit infra-dig for that prog, more on the "Breakfast" lines I would have thought - but still, the conundrum solving part of my brain enjoys it).

This morning, did anyone hear it?

I officially can't distinguish a snippet of Bax from a snippet of Delius (Walk to the Paradise Garden or Garden of Fand this morning? The former... ); and I was convinced that what turned out to be Nights in the Gardens of Spain was a piece by Prokofiev - remarkably similar in style to the 3rd Piano Concerto, the bit she played... Interesting what blind tasting makes you realise...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Interesting that they have taken to the idea of the little Associations game on a Thursday
          I haven't heard it, but it sounds rather like there might be a plagiarism suit in the offing

Comment

I connecting

- Erard commission
            - Sanford dedication
            - C major opus 3

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post

I connecting

- Erard commission
              - Sanford dedication
              - C major opus 3
              Introduction

Ravel: Introduction and Allegro commissioned by Erard harp manufacturer
              Chopin: Introduction and Polonaise Brilliante Op 3 in C

Will try and complete Sanford (or Stanford?) reference as soon as...

Comment

Samuel Sanford

Introduction and Allegro by...

The bloke in my avatar...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia

superb as always
                  Too kind. Unfortunately I had a mini-crisis at work which distracted me for a while...

A trio of Js, all from the same capital city, born consecutively 25 and 10 years apart and sharing the same musical profession.

Comment

her adjectival diarrhoea rather than her loose vowels...
                    I've just appreciated what a serendipitous turn of phrase, that was

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      I've just appreciated what a serendipitous turn of phrase, that was
                      Well, on the basis that I take 'serendipitous' to mean something that is just happily fortuitous, it wasn't - it was a deliberate little colonic conceit on my part

But nonetheless I accept your compliment in the spirit in which it was intended, thanks

EDIT: to be consistent, maybe in #6320 para 1, I should have said she has 'cleaned it up' rather than 'toned it down'...

Comment

I cannot access R3 during the day, is the Associations puzzle on a Thursday referred to upthread just in one specific section or is it scattered throughout the programme? I'd quite like to have a crack at it (although by the time I get to listen it will be solved of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          I cannot access R3 during the day, is the Associations puzzle on a Thursday referred to upthread just in one specific section or is it scattered throughout the programme? I'd quite like to have a crack at it (although by the time I get to listen it will be solved of course)
                          Anna, it seems to be just Thursdays on Classical Collection - about 20 mns into the programme, they play 4 short extracts from pieces with an association; they are played a second time a little while later, and then the answer is read out about 11am. People text in and various names are read out of those who got in first with the right answer. It's diverting, but not something to go out of your way for....

I thought of being a smart**** next time (if ever!! ) I get to set a question with time on my hands, of making the question a set of 3 links to extracts of pieces in anonymous mp3 files, with an alphabet association. Bit too ambitious? Not sure I have the technical knowhow either....

Comment

I thought of being a smart**** next time (if ever!! ) I get to set a question with time on my hands, of making the question a set of 3 links to extracts of pieces in anonymous mp3 files, with an alphabet association. Bit too ambitious? Not sure I have the technical knowhow either....
                            Oh, don't sell yourself short Ducks, you can do it and, you know, whassisname, Gordon's friend, Jock, Jock, that's it, he'll help, he's bona when it comes to anonymous MPs and their ....... ooh, you meant ..... flac files? Sorry, I spoke, got the wrong end of the twiglet, but Jock, he's wonderful at converting a Flac to a Wav, honest. Got a technique to be seen to be believed.

Edit: Does Colin Fishwick meet a sticky end tonight?
                            Last edited by Guest; 19-05-11, 19:21.

Comment

Hmmm. I have a trio of Js born respectively 25 and 10 years apart who share the same musical profession, but, alas, all born in different cities...

Comment

it can't be Jones, so it must be...

Jarvi.

Neeme (born 1937), Paavo (born 1962) and Kristjan (born 1972) - all conductors born in Tallinn.

Comment

Working...
                                X