X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me it's nothing to do with Parsifal which has 3 Acts and was finished in Italy? Then I can have a day carrying Lady G's shopping bags in peace. Interestingly when you put Percy and opera in Wikipedia you, of course, get Percy Sugden!

Comment

Quite right, Anton, it isn't Parsifal.

Comment

yes, but not in the modern sense

Comment

I've been thinking about that, Mercia. Perhaps not fictional but not proven fact, either. Think classically.

Now I have absent myself for a while - once more unto the day and all that - see you later

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
            Which P

reached completion beside an Italian lake but was reduced from five acts to three
            was a weaver whose bow was re-strung by the only capable man present,
            was first performed in London with an overture by Ludwig and not Domenico?
            Is this Psyché, weaver of fates? Also subject of operas by Alessandro Scarlatti and Lully... can't find a Ludwig reference...
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

IGI! Great to see you here!

I'm stumped with this question. Yours looks like a good shout!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Hi Caliban!

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Yours looks like a good shout!
                Mmm, slightly nervy about being correct, given that it appears the 'winner' sets the next letter...
                Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                  ...slightly nervy about being correct, given that it appears the 'winner' sets the next letter...
                  Oh no need to be nervous, it's a kindly crew here who are always delighted to take new players to their bosoms! I'm confident there are tons of interesting conundra milling around in the Inquisitor's brain!! What better rôle, indeed, for a Grand Inquisitor than to interrogate the multitude?!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    What better rôle, indeed, for a Grand Inquisitor than to interrogate the multitude?!
                    That is indeed how my moniker came into being, Caliban! http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F2...w=50#p44895098

I have come up with a 'Q' should it be required...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
                      hooray a new player
                      there's an Amor und Psyche by Ludwig Abeille ?? but not in London ?

there seem to be lots of bows and arrows in the Penelope story
                      and Faure's Penelope was reduced from 5 to 3 acts and completed at Lugano
                      Aha, there's an Alessandro Scarlatti opera, Penelope la casta.

Comment

Oh, happy memories!! Just looking at the link IGI posted - I'm there and although he's calling me Anna my name is showing as Lucy!! I wonder why I changed it? 2007 - don't time fly!

Comment

I had assumed that Domenico was a reference to Scarlatti... dangerous. Domenico Cimarosa also composed a Penelope, which did indeed have its overture substitued for one by Beethoven on its London premiere, it not being seen as exciting enough 'for northern nerves'!

Happy memories indeed, Anna/ Lucy!!

Comment

Penelope it is but who got what ?

Mercia was the first to identify Penelope and the Faure connection.
                            IGI got the Beethoven connection.
                            Has anyone spelled out the weaver yet ?

BTW Sorry to take so long to get back.

Comment

To summarise:

Faure’s three act opera, Penelope, completed in Lugano on 31 August 1912.
                              Penelope, wife of Odysseus,in Homer's "Odyssey.
                              Cimarosa’s two act opera, Penelope. King’s Theatre, London on 11 January 1817. The Cimarosa overture was thought not to have “force and excitement enough for our northern nerves”. so they used a Beethoven overture instead.

I surrender to El Gran Inquistor but wd Mercia

Q here for Q

Great to have a new player here and Mercia will keep you on your toes

Comment

I think the should really go to Mercia, who got the Penelope link while I was busy with Psyche!

This one is probably not too difficult, but, according to a search, has not featured in previous rounds...

Which Q:
                                Is seeking variation on ancient CIV
                                Could be an unlucky sonata
                                Almost features in an opera, which rings a bell

One word, three works...
                                Last edited by Il Grande Inquisitor; 28-05-11, 16:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X