there’s one in the west
    and two are known to be Russian.

Comment

• Angle
      • Dec 2010

The fullest of details , please.

Comment

• Anna

Am I having even more blonde moments? Just looked at the R4 schedule for next Friday - anton and Ofca meant - Desert Island Discs!! Something I never listen to. I thought it must be some indepth stuff. Oh well, I'll give it a whirl. I like Dirk Bogarde, I saw a film with him called "Victim" not so long ago (ignore me and talk amongst yourself whilst I whitter on) about blackmail, very good it was I thought. Pre Wolfenden and all that. Seems odd don't it now, those attitudes?

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

I think I saw that in 1955 or 1956 [EDIT, no it was about 1962] - probably seems very dated now, Anna. Those were the days when all non-homosexuals held real power over those who were gay, most of whom lived in a state of fear of exposure and prosecution.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
            I think I saw that in 1955 or 1956 [EDIT, no it was about 1962] - probably seems very dated now, Anna. Those were the days when all non-homosexuals held real power over those who were gay, most of whom lived in a state of fear of exposure and prosecution.
            Angle, it was on Film 4 and repeated recently. Yes, terribly dated I guess and rather difficult to understand in this day and age of civil partnerships and prominent gays in all the soap operas. Yet, as I understand it, being a lesbian was never against the law as Queen Victoria did not think such a thing existed! Personally, I think being gay is perfectly natural as being left-handed (another thing the Victorians tried to stamp out)

Anyway, seriouisly off topic! Your puzzle, of course, the W at mid-day says John Wayne (High Noon) but, that's wrong, so I dunno. Will have to have a ponder about this.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia
              Dvorak - Noon-Day Witch - 1896
              Oh, and the Wicked Witch of the West (Wiz of Oz?)

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                And what does Dirk Bogarde have to do with the price of sprouts? .
                Anna - I'm not sure if this was really a question - but if it was - I'm not sure it was answered - but anyroad up - Adagietto from Mahler 5 - the feem-toon for the fillum of Death in Venice - final shot of Dirk Bogarde dying on the lido gazing at the unattainable Tadzio - Bogarde's make-up theatrically drizzling down his face in the venetian sunshine as he dies - but you prob'ly knew all this anyway...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Anna - I'm not sure if this was really a question - but if it was - I'm not sure it was answered - but anyroad up - Adagietto from Mahler 5 - the feem-toon for the fillum of Death in Venice - final shot of Dirk Bogarde dying on the lido gazing at the unattainable Tadzio - Bogarde's make-up theatrically drizzling down his face in the venetian sunshine as he dies - but you prob'ly knew all this anyway...
                  No, Scouts Honour, I've never seen Death in Venice, I think maybe I should. Thanks for that vinteuil. Also, what was the name of the restaurant you had the amazing lunch in?
                  Last edited by Guest; 29-05-11, 17:39. Reason: speling

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                    For those who missed it, it's now available as a podcast, plus a repeat on Radio 4 9.00 a.m. Friday. RW's story, especially the way he told it, was really quite absorbing. And from now on, the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th won't necessarily bring Dirk Bogarde's melting make-up to mind!
                    Yes I enjoyed it also and found Mr. Waters, who I supposed I had expected to be somewhat bitter and twisted, to be rather charming. I thought his description of playing to a 70% empty hall while a few miles away the Floyd had filled a baseball stadium, as a learning experience was "nice".

Comment

• Angle
                      • Dec 2010

Mercia 1 Anna 1

There’s a W at mid-day,
                      there’s one in the west
                      and two are known to be Russian.
                      Awaiting the Russians

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                        Mercia 1 Anna 1

Awaiting the Russians
                        Well, Baba-Yaga appears in a Liadov tone poem and towards the end of Mussorgsky's Pictures.
                        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Anna

Tchaichovsky - The Witch perhaps? Baba yaga?

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

Baba-Yaga, yes
                            and Tchaikovsky fits the bill, too

Mention of Liadov leads also to Kikimora,a fairy tale for orchestra

That's Anna 1, Mercia 1 and Inquisitor 1

but you might disagree.

It is time for a V from one of the above.

Comment

• Anna

I have to go now, sorry. So count me out. If I can pass on my point, can it be to IGI?

Comment

• Angle
                                • Dec 2010

Anna is leaving the ring and Mercia is not in sight.

Inquisitor, X, Y or Z or, if you wish, A, seems to be all yours.

No, not a V as I said earlier

Comment

Working...
                                X