• Show
Clear All

There’s a W at mid-day,
    there’s one in the west
    and two are known to be Russian.

Comment

The fullest of details , please.

Comment

Am I having even more blonde moments? Just looked at the R4 schedule for next Friday - anton and Ofca meant - Desert Island Discs!! Something I never listen to. I thought it must be some indepth stuff. Oh well, I'll give it a whirl. I like Dirk Bogarde, I saw a film with him called "Victim" not so long ago (ignore me and talk amongst yourself whilst I whitter on) about blackmail, very good it was I thought. Pre Wolfenden and all that. Seems odd don't it now, those attitudes?

Comment

I think I saw that in 1955 or 1956 [EDIT, no it was about 1962] - probably seems very dated now, Anna. Those were the days when all non-homosexuals held real power over those who were gay, most of whom lived in a state of fear of exposure and prosecution.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
            I think I saw that in 1955 or 1956 [EDIT, no it was about 1962] - probably seems very dated now, Anna. Those were the days when all non-homosexuals held real power over those who were gay, most of whom lived in a state of fear of exposure and prosecution.
            Angle, it was on Film 4 and repeated recently. Yes, terribly dated I guess and rather difficult to understand in this day and age of civil partnerships and prominent gays in all the soap operas. Yet, as I understand it, being a lesbian was never against the law as Queen Victoria did not think such a thing existed! Personally, I think being gay is perfectly natural as being left-handed (another thing the Victorians tried to stamp out)

Anyway, seriouisly off topic! Your puzzle, of course, the W at mid-day says John Wayne (High Noon) but, that's wrong, so I dunno. Will have to have a ponder about this.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
              Dvorak - Noon-Day Witch - 1896
              Oh, and the Wicked Witch of the West (Wiz of Oz?)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                And what does Dirk Bogarde have to do with the price of sprouts? .
                Anna - I'm not sure if this was really a question - but if it was - I'm not sure it was answered - but anyroad up - Adagietto from Mahler 5 - the feem-toon for the fillum of Death in Venice - final shot of Dirk Bogarde dying on the lido gazing at the unattainable Tadzio - Bogarde's make-up theatrically drizzling down his face in the venetian sunshine as he dies - but you prob'ly knew all this anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Anna - I'm not sure if this was really a question - but if it was - I'm not sure it was answered - but anyroad up - Adagietto from Mahler 5 - the feem-toon for the fillum of Death in Venice - final shot of Dirk Bogarde dying on the lido gazing at the unattainable Tadzio - Bogarde's make-up theatrically drizzling down his face in the venetian sunshine as he dies - but you prob'ly knew all this anyway...
                  No, Scouts Honour, I've never seen Death in Venice, I think maybe I should. Thanks for that vinteuil. Also, what was the name of the restaurant you had the amazing lunch in?
                  Last edited by Guest; 29-05-11, 17:39. Reason: speling

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                    For those who missed it, it's now available as a podcast, plus a repeat on Radio 4 9.00 a.m. Friday. RW's story, especially the way he told it, was really quite absorbing. And from now on, the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th won't necessarily bring Dirk Bogarde's melting make-up to mind!
                    Yes I enjoyed it also and found Mr. Waters, who I supposed I had expected to be somewhat bitter and twisted, to be rather charming. I thought his description of playing to a 70% empty hall while a few miles away the Floyd had filled a baseball stadium, as a learning experience was "nice".

Comment

Mercia 1 Anna 1

There’s a W at mid-day,
                      there’s one in the west
                      and two are known to be Russian.
                      Awaiting the Russians

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                        Mercia 1 Anna 1

Awaiting the Russians
                        Well, Baba-Yaga appears in a Liadov tone poem and towards the end of Mussorgsky's Pictures.
                        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Tchaichovsky - The Witch perhaps? Baba yaga?

Comment

Baba-Yaga, yes
                            and Tchaikovsky fits the bill, too

Mention of Liadov leads also to Kikimora,a fairy tale for orchestra

That's Anna 1, Mercia 1 and Inquisitor 1

but you might disagree.

It is time for a V from one of the above.

Comment

I have to go now, sorry. So count me out. If I can pass on my point, can it be to IGI?

Comment

Anna is leaving the ring and Mercia is not in sight.

Inquisitor, X, Y or Z or, if you wish, A, seems to be all yours.

No, not a V as I said earlier

Comment

Working...
                                X