X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    I'm still here, at least, but not getting anywhere on this one. Did think M might be Mother at one stage, but far too tenuous. Time for a hint?
    Ok, I confess the first clue was a bit of a 'roter hering' designed to send the unwary up a Meistersinger cul-de-sac, but what you need to be thinking is: Is the composer German? The second is simply a matter of naming those 'toons, while in the third the answer is the same as in the first clue, but with the inclusion of the dedicatee monarch's name.

The stopwatch is now running...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Ok, I confess the first clue was a bit of a 'roter hering' designed to send the unwary up a Meistersinger cul-de-sac, but what you need to be thinking is: Is the composer German? The second is simply a matter of naming those 'toons, while in the third the answer is the same as in the first clue, but with the inclusion of the dedicatee monarch's name.

The stopwatch is now running...
      You successfully sent Caliban the Unwary up that particular blocked passage.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        You successfully sent Caliban the Unwary up that particular blocked passage.
        Sorry, I trust Sir has enaged his low-ratio box and managed to reverse his way out...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

The only reason I got it was the fact that I remembered from my schooldays Lyadov's Enchanted Lake as being a makeweight from the Svetlanov set of Tchaikovsky Symphonies, and I thought a witch was probably involved, making it Russian. I'm not familiar with the piano miniatures which make up the snuffbox.

Which M connects a Teutonic national opera, a group of American melodies, and a monarchical ballet?
          Well I suspect the answer is the word "Merrie / Merry"..... the opera is Edward GERMAN's "Merrie England", the 'toons are Merrie Melodies...

But I can't get the third. You say "the answer is the same as in the first clue, but with the inclusion of the dedicatee monarch's name".... so England + name of a monarch... or German + name of a monarch... And where does "merry" fit in?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Well I suspect the answer is the word "Merrie / Merry"..... the opera is Edward GERMAN's "Merrie England", the 'toons are Merrie Melodies...

But I can't get the third. You say "the answer is the same as in the first clue, but with the inclusion of the dedicatee monarch's name".... so England + name of a monarch... or German + name of a monarch... And where does "merry" fit in?
            You haven't quite cleaned your plate, Caliban. Try putting the name of the monarch first...:cool2:

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

There is a ballet "Victoria and Merrie England", music by Sir Arthur Sullivan.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                There is a ballet "Victoria and Merrie England", music by Sir Arthur Sullivan.
                B***er me, is there?! Well that must be it. The final piece slots into place with a satisfying click.

You're welcome to set "N", scb, as I won't be able to think about it for a good few hours...

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

You're welcome to set "N", scb, as I won't be able to think about it for a good few hours...
                  No thanks. I am trying to give it up. No rush for the next question.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    No thanks. I am trying to give it up.
                    Just face it, scb, you're an addict like the rest of us. The Sullivan was correct, btw. What a Merrie jape that was. Caliban, well done, you're on N. Take your time...

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Edward German's Merrie England
                      toontimes Merrie Melodies
                      Sullivan's Victoria and Merrie England

I am such a musical snob - no, let me correct myself, - I am such a snob - that I am delighted that there is no way I would have known any of the above...

Comment

• Don Petter

I think that M was pretty hard. (Not a complaint.)

Merrie England was within my sphere, and well diguised, but I'd never heard of the other two. Google is your friend, I suppose, which I've just had to use to find out about Merrie Melodies. Keep 'em coming!

PS My American Melodies were hoping to be "Songs My Mother Taught Me" by Charles Ives.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

Merrie England was within my sphere, and well diguised, but I'd never heard of the other two. Google is your friend, I suppose, which I've just had to use to find out about Merrie Melodies. Keep 'em coming!
                          How many of us grew familiar with the pops of the classical music repertoire thanks to those classic cartoons, I wonder?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            Edward German's Merrie England
                            toontimes Merrie Melodies
                            Sullivan's Victoria and Merrie England

I am such a musical snob - no, let me correct myself, - I am such a snob - that I am delighted that there is no way I would have known any of the above...
                            I fear we have had an insight into the nether regions of rubbernecker's LP collection... plus the infant rubbernecker's televisual habits.

Let's see if I can raise the tone with "N". I must do some work though! Forgive me if it doesn't appear till tomorrow.

Comment

• Don Petter

How many of us grew familiar with the pops of the classical music repertoire thanks to those classic cartoons, I wonder?
                              Well, not me! In my youth the nearest cinema was four miles away and a major expedition. As it happens, I've always had a blind spot when it comes to cartoons, and not liked them then or since.

The same cinema was, however, thanks to an enlightened manager, where I heard Sunday concerts by Moisewitch, Pouishnoff and Smeterlin, which certainly encouraged me to seek more familiarity with classical music.

Comment

• rubbernecker

I fear we have had an insight into the nether regions of rubbernecker's LP collection...
                                I'm afraid not, I am not familiar with either of these German or Sullivan masterpieces, to my loss, I'm sure. As you have probably guessed, I am more of an Aribert Reimann man. They are just quiz questions, nothing more...

EDIT: I do have a couple of Carmen Dragon LPs, though
                                Last edited by Guest; 14-01-11, 18:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X