• Nov 2010

a P to connect

- a symphony in three movements
    - a fourth piano concerto
    - Jiri, Serge & Jiri

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

I think by one of those complete strokes of luck you, very occasionally, get I may have it the first 2 parts at least but I shall with your agreement hold my fire to allow others to enter the playground!?

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Ah yes I'd forgotten

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          I think by one of those complete strokes of luck you, very occasionally, get I may have it the first 2 parts at least but I shall with your agreement hold my fire to allow others to enter the playground!?
          I think some of the slower-witted among us would appreciate the chance to at least have a think about some of these questions before one or more of the regular three or four superbrains trot out the answer.
          I personally find that the pace has increased of late to the extent that I simply cannot keep up. Perhaps you'd like to log in again at, say, 1400 hours BST and see if any lightbulbs have gone on in the brain of one or more of us lesser mortals?

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

I would dispute the lesser mortals I consider you a greater mortal than my sheepish self by far! But quite happy to log off and indeed to slow the pace down. It was just that as Mercia gave up most of his Fiday to the yowe I felt an obligation to give his teasers my feeble best!

Comment

• Anna

I think I am a lesser mortal, certainly not a superbrain, having only cracked one puzzle in this latest round! Sometimes I find it very difficult to negotiate a starting point from the clues, I think possibly the fact that our minds all work in different ways, as in, for example, sudoko, which to me is one of the greatest unexplained mysteries of life or the ability to look at a crossword clue and not be flummoxed has a bearing on this.

However, I think I possibly have the P, which is Prague.
              Prague Symphony by Mozart
              Prague Piano Concerto by Kabalevsky
              Jiri Belohlavek founded Prague Phil, is Charman of Prague Festival and the Rachmaninov is the Piano Duo

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I think I am a lesser mortal, certainly not a superbrain, having only cracked one puzzle in this latest round! Sometimes I find it very difficult to negotiate a starting point from the clues, I think possibly the fact that our minds all work in different ways, as in, for example, sudoko, which to me is one of the greatest unexplained mysteries of life or the ability to look at a crossword clue and not be flummoxed has a bearing on this.

However, I think I possibly have the P, which is Prague.
                Prague Symphony by Mozart
                Prague Piano Concerto by Kabalevsky
                Jiri Belohlavek founded Prague Phil, is Charman of Prague Festival and the Rachmaninov is the Piano Duo
                Blimey, Anna I certainly look up to you as a puzzle-cracker. Well done with your work on the P

Oh blimey Broad is OUT - this will be the story of my day/next few days, Test Match cricket takes priority - England & Wales () are 410-7

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Oh blimey Broad is OUT - this will be the story of my day/next few days, Test Match cricket takes priority - England & Wales () are 410-7
                  I've got the cricket on as well Ams!! Exciting isn't it? But I have a date this afternoon with some Baa-Baa's (no, not sheep, 15 hunky rugby players!!) Edit: Sorry if I gave the impression of actually being there, no, just a group of us watching on tv unfortunately!)
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-06-11, 12:56.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

one of the greatest unexplained mysteries of life
                    phew, that's deep!

ofca won't be pleased that we've broken his 14:00 BST deadline

Prague is indeed the answer. I hadn't realised that Belohlavek had actually founded the orchestra. Not sure what that Rachmaninov reference is about.

But anyway Q or whatever letter for Anna

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      Prague is indeed the answer. I hadn't realised that Belohlavek had actually founded the orchestra. Not sure what that Rachmaninov reference is about.

But anyway Q or whatever letter for Anna
                      I assumed the clue 'Serge' referred to Rach's Piano Duo 'Prague', maybe I have gone wrong on that? What's the right answer? Something Jiri has conducted?

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

I assumed the clue 'Serge' referred to Rach's Piano Duo 'Prague', maybe I have gone wrong on that? What's the right answer? Something Jiri has conducted?
                        wow Anna, another Prague connection that I had no idea about !!!

my two Jiris and Serge were simply three of the several conductors of the Prague Symphony Orchestra. Well done you.

Comment

• amateur51

I've got the cricket on as well Ams!! Exciting isn't it? But I have a date this afternoon with some Baa-Baa's (no, not sheep, 15 hunky rugby players!!)
                          I'm very jealous Anna.

One of the greatest sporting moments of my life was being present at the old Arms Park for THE Baa-Baas match again the All Black in 1973. I was standing around half-way on the side where Gareth Edwards scores in this clip.

I hope that you'll be applying the wintergreen to their fabulous thighs *swoon* (or at least that you've bought a ticket for the raffle )

Comment

• Anna

mercia, so often there are parallel answers! I do sincerely hope I haven't upset Ofca by jumping in before 2.00pm but I do consider myself, in his words, a "lesser mortal" I will arrange an R (bypassing Q if that is OK) and return.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              one of the greatest sporting moments of my life was being present at the old arms park for the baa-baas match again the all black in 1973. I was standing around half-way on the side where gareth edwards scores in this clip.

I hope that you'll be applying the wintergreen to their fabulous thighs *swoon* (or at least that you've bought a ticket for the raffle )
                              DOWN BOY!!! Wow, to think you were there in 1973. That's awesome!

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Yes I am also very envious of your presence in 73 - we shall never see it's like again!

Comment

Working...
                                X