X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pausing only to (helpfully) point out that Del Trotter was not the first to comment on the superfluity of a midday meal, and that all elements are musical, I feel I must address a matter of concern to at least a couple of fellow contributors...

Yes, what about Friday's Corrie? I found it more than a little contrived - such a shame after the sustained brilliance of the previous five days. It rather put me in mind of the ending(s) of a certain Haydn String Quartet.

A minor quibble from earlier in the week. In a tension-filled scene in which John is trying to persuade Fiz to help him, he asks her whether the material he's found is strong enough for the nefarious deed they are about to perpetrate:

"Help me here, Fiz, you know about these things - tensile strength..." (my italics). I didn't realize Fiz had been studying textile engineering while waiting for him to come home from his various disappearances.

The Steve/Becky/Max/Amy storyline, on the other hand, seemed just about pitch-perfect throughout. If I'm not careful, I shall start feeling just a little bit sorry for Becky, so good is Miss Kelly's acting. Do you think somebody's got a copy of 'The Shining' in their DVD collection?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-11, 09:08. Reason: Further clue inserted

Comment

Should I plough into Wall Street or as I have been ordered to from on high do the garden?

Comment

As regards John Snape, after the transmission I said I was surprised at the ending and, to be honest, it's pretty unrealistic that, whilst it's possible to survive a fall like that it certainly is not feasible that he could walk away so I was expecting him to be injured, arrested and sectioned. Still, I guess they have to get as much mileage (aka ratings) out of John as they can. It seems (from tv guide) Fiz is to land up in Court.

As for Mad Becky and the sledgehammer - I thought that was absolutely brilliant. I cannot see where the Max/Amy story may be going. I do know I have developed an intense dislike of David Platt.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Should I plough into Wall Street or as I have been ordered to from on high do the garden?
          Why not pop over to The Big Apple?

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
            Why not pop over to The Big Apple?
            The garden then Lady G will be pleased!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              As regards John Snape, after the transmission I said I was surprised at the ending and, to be honest, it's pretty unrealistic that, whilst it's possible to survive a fall like that it certainly is not feasible that he could walk away so I was expecting him to be injured, arrested and sectioned. Still, I guess they have to get as much mileage (aka ratings) out of John as they can. It seems (from tv guide) Fiz is to land up in Court.

As for Mad Becky and the sledgehammer - I thought that was absolutely brilliant. I cannot see where the Max/Amy story may be going. I do know I have developed an intense dislike of David Platt.
              By the way, it's John Stape (nowt to do with Britten or Aldeburgh).
              I would have thought the current question might appeal to somebody with your catholic musical tastes....

Comment

Which S links two areas of New York and a form of transportation? The link word occurs in all three elements.
                Are we looking at 'subway' here?

And the 'lunch' reference is from the film Wall Street?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Are we looking at 'subway' here?

And the 'lunch' reference is from the film Wall Street?
                  Ah "Don't Sleep in the Subway" Petula Clark - very catholic and Glenn Gould loved her so a classical tie in!

Comment

Time to push on with this, I think.
                    Some people, myself included, greatly admire the Mancunian composers of the first of the three songs you're looking for.
                    And a song - not the one you're looking for, but written by the composer of the second begins:
                    'And now the purple dusk of twilight time....'

Comment

Ah "Don't Sleep in the Subway" Petula Clark - very catholic and Glenn Gould loved her so a classical tie in!
                      The 'S' is not a mode of transport (unless you include walking ).
                      Wall Street is one of the areas of New York you're looking for.

Comment

Time to push on with this, I think.
                        Some people, myself included, greatly admire the Mancunian composers of the first of the three songs you're looking for.
                        And a song - not the one you're looking for, but written by the composer of the second begins:
                        'And now the purple dusk of twilight time....'
                        That's Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust, as any fule kno

Comment

Yes .... Hoagy Carmichael also wrote a song, the first word of the title of which is a means of transportation and the second a form of walking ....

Comment

An extract from the first song: 'You need a yen to make a mark'

Comment

I really must shuffle off to the garden

Comment

I really must shuffle off to the garden
                                Fair enough - but before you do, would you like to elaborate on your (correct) answer?

Comment

Working...
                                X