X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a-ha, apologies, finally found the link Jacques de Saint-Luc - Tombeau sur le mort de Mr Francois Ginter. wish I'd been put off the scent of Fanny Heldy (so to speak)

+ of course Birtwistle's & Ravel's Tombeaux
    Last edited by mercia; 05-06-11, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      reluctantly come back to this. obviously vinteuil's clues point to Tombeau but I'm afraid I don't see the Ath connection.
      Tombeau it is 3 very obscure Jacques de Saint-Luc of that parish wrote Tombeau on the death of a Mr. Ginter!

You have earned the U and probably the VWXYZ too!

Comment

Like it sends you to the Chopin Cello Sonata rather than a nice Opus 19! I should have put Couperinville as hamlet 3 in retrospect. Couperin did himself get in on the Tombeau act!

Comment

Just catching up with this, which seems to have gone all round the houses. So it's Tombeau! Last time I looked it was Time! Oh good, one from vinteuil, haven't had one from him for ages

Comment

sorry, can't think of a U, would you settle for a V?

a V who is/was

- a Shostakovich quartet dedicatee
            - a Karajan competition medallist
            - a painter influenced, in his 30's, by Wagner's Lohengrin

just to confuse things, wiki spells the painter's name with a W not a V

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              sorry, can't think of a U, would you settle for a V?

a V who is/was

- a Shostakovich quartet dedicatee
              - a Karajan competition medallist
              - a painter influenced, in his 30's, by Wagner's Lohengrin

just to confuse things, wiki spells the painter's name with a W not a V
              Good to have rules in your life good old Dimtri dedicated each his many String Quartets to either

a) the Beethoven Quartet or
              b) one of his many mates each of whose name(s) began with V

Rest for the wicked I think

Comment

Following mercia’s footsteps in the land of Google, I’ve found these:

a Karajan competition medallist: Vassily Sinaisky
                a painter influenced, in his 30's, by Wagner's Lohengrin: W/Vassily Kandinsky

Whoever finds the dedicatee will get W.

(This is a terrible thread. Can’t leave it alone. I’ve got things piling up waiting to be done…)

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  things piling up waiting to be done
                  this is far more important

very well done so far, Anton has provided big clues for the other bit
                  and in any case you have done enough to secure setting the next question
                  hard luck! you've been ensnared

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                    Following mercia’s footsteps in the land of Google, I’ve found these:

a Karajan competition medallist: Vassily Sinaisky
                    a painter influenced, in his 30's, by Wagner's Lohengrin: W/Vassily Kandinsky

Whoever finds the dedicatee will get W.

(This is a terrible thread. Can’t leave it alone. I’ve got things piling up waiting to be done…)
                    Just popping in briefly, and I haven't really looked at the puzzle. It seems to me that doversoul, having got (if they are correct) two elements and the V really deserves to set the next puzzle once the missing element is solved? What do others think.

EDIT: cross posting with mercia - two minds with the same thought!

Comment

Shirinsky of the Vassily persuasion? Dimitri's no.11 or outside left in old money?
                      I think doversoul more than deserves it. Excellent question mercia.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Shirinsky of the Vassily persuasion? Dimitri's no.11 or outside left in old money?
                        I think doversoul more than deserves it.
                        to all of that

did you read that Sergei Shirinsky (brother?) died while they were rehearsing Shost. 15? bit of a bummer, no?

Comment

I didn't but it is absolutely amazing what one picks up in becoming addicted to these teasers - did you know the Scottish word for a ewe is.........I will be away for a couple of days working have fun!

Comment

hard luck! you've been ensnared
                            I should have listened to my better sense…Ah well. Here goes. Back to beginner’s level:

What (not who) W connects these three (back to the other association thread )?

A madrigal by Monteverdi
                            An aria by Handel
                            the bonny blue sea

None of the clues begin with w.

Comment

sounds an intriguing question
                              and thanks for joining in

Comment

well bonny blue sea takes me to Blow the wind southerly which I suppose inevitably though not necessarily takes me to Kathleen Ferrier and a possible W in her life (though not of course Bruno Walter).
                                unfortunately Handel wrote a lot of arias and Monteverdi wrote a lot of madrigals, I wonder if I should look at an aria that Ferrier sang
                                it must be painful to watch my brain at work - it's accompanied by a strange creaking sound

Comment

Working...
                                X