X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drunken toad is back, after an excellent meal! You're all very quiet.

I'll give you this overnight: The solution is musical, but the two clues are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Drunken toad is back, after an excellent meal! You're all very quiet.

I'll give you this overnight: The solution is musical, but the two clues are not.
      I've taken the hints and have also been catching up on life. I have also enlisted the help of Mrs R who has suggested eco cat for the conservatory feline. I think the noisy mischief makers might be loud yobs, which all leaves a rather messy anagram which I am now too tired to solve...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        I've taken the hints and have also been catching up on life. I have also enlisted the help of Mrs R who has suggested eco cat for the conservatory feline. I think the noisy mischief makers might be loud yobs, which all leaves a rather messy anagram which I am now too tired to solve...
        No, and no anagrams involved. Perhaps I was too devious. Ditto about bedtime - another clue in the morning, perchance.

Comment

I imagine most of you were up long before me this morning, and are keeping quiet, so it seems a clue is in order. This is where the loosening of a brick or two may well bring the whole carefully constructed edifice down round my ears, but here goes.

First, let me slightly modify the question, though keeping it phonetically the same:

What early songster emerges once a conserve-atory feline is chased by noisy mischief-makers?

Second, it is quite likely that the mischief-makers came by wagon.

[Shambles off, muttering ‘Cartoons! I’ll show ‘em I can be just as childish …’]

Comment

OK thanks... I've simply been cogitating upon your question from time to time over the past day or so, can't make anything of it but the clues may help...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Ya all are swift as the rapids through the Upper Tuolumne of California, I read, ponder and am most often at sea.

siggy:cool2:

Comment

I imagine most of you were up long before me this morning, and are keeping quiet, so it seems a clue is in order. This is where the loosening of a brick or two may well bring the whole carefully constructed edifice down round my ears, but here goes.

First, let me slightly modify the question, though keeping it phonetically the same:

What early songster emerges once a conserve-atory feline is chased by noisy mischief-makers?

Second, it is quite likely that the mischief-makers came by wagon.

[Shambles off, muttering ‘Cartoons! I’ll show ‘em I can be just as childish …’]
                I had hoped the questions, and the clues, would have become less abstruse in my absence. (Stupid boy, OFCACHAP)...

Comment

"Thufferin' Thuccotash"

Composer Carl Stalling

Comment

Old Deuteronomy

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post

Composer Carl Stalling
                      First word is right! Not the others.

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
                        Old Deuteronomy
                        Correct animal, incorrect specimen!

Comment

Correct animal, incorrect specimen!
                          Orlando?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            Orlando?
                            You've got him! Complete, please ...?

Comment

You've got him! Complete, please ...?
                              well, I'm not completely sure - but the conserve is marmalade, and Orlando was the Marmalade Cat - and then I wonder if the noisy mischief makers might be gibbons - which would give us Orlando Gibbons - he of the 'Silver Swan' ?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                well, I'm not completely sure - but the conserve is marmalade, and Orlando was the Marmalade Cat - and then I wonder if the noisy mischief makers might be gibbons - which would give us Orlando Gibbons - he of the 'Silver Swan' ?
                                Spot on vint! Perhaps it was a bit convoluted. I do too many crosswords, I suspect. (If I ever get back in, I'll try something simpler.)

To summarise:

What early songster emerges once a conservatory feline is chased by noisy mischief-makers?

We have Orlando (The Marmalade Cat*) Gibbons (renowned for their vigorous vocal displays, which can be heard for up to one kilometre, according to Wiki).

Your 'P', I think.

*Orlando (The Marmalade Cat) is the central character in a series of nineteen illustrated children’s books by Kathleen Hale, published 1938-1972

Comment

Working...
                                X