X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back Angle!! I hope your Yorkshire Festival was enjoyable and the weather was kind to you (beautiful scenery up there) and you have come back refreshed.

Comment

Many thanks, Anna. I am refreshed indeed, both by the brushes with culture and several torrential down-pours of Pennine rain. One of the early highlights was Sofya Gulyak playing (close your ears, Caliban) a programme which consisted largely of Liszt in a rather heavily Russian manner to a packed house. Perhaps she was more accustomed to somewhat larger halls and audiences, although she is said to have enjoyed herself very much. Not sure what the piano thought about it.

Robin Ireland, lately of the Lindsay's led a excellent recital of works by Tchaikovsky and Brahms (Sextets: Souvenir de Florence and the String Sextet No2 in G major). The Tchaikovsky ended the programme with considerable elan and flair. Wonderful stuff, none of which I had heard before 'live', living as I do in the under-privileged north. I wish I could say the same of the local orchestra and choir's concert last night which, though fairly enjoyable consisted of a very odd mix: a Requiem by Rutter and songs from the shows! The conductor seemed to be quiet unaware of the presence of the orchestra and devoted his attention entirely to the choir of a few males and a lot of amply-busted ladies all of whom sang with gusto.....

...... I have to wait four years for the next festival.

Actually a most enjoyable week in the valleys and on the moors (some of which are hauntingly leak even on the finest day).

However, as always, it is good to be home, and to be able to get stuck into P - whenever it comes along.

Comment

Is Dave's 13.26 not a P? If it isn't ignore my request for a clue!

Comment

Hi guys

Do you want to wait, say an hour or so for a clue? I can do a quick check back in a short while if you're desperate, otherwise I'll look in again round 10pm. We are indeed on P.

Good luck.

Comment

My mistake!

Comment

Can't help feeling we need a little more info. The original clues are just a bit bleak.

Comment

Think about Rubinstein first, and then see if that gets you anywhere. I'll check back within an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                  Can't help feeling we need a little more info. The original clues are just a bit bleak.
                  Well, certainly very sparse and apart from being Polish and playing the Piano I'm giving up on this and will watch Cardiff Singer of the Year

Angle, so glad you enjoyed yourself!

Comment

OK - an additional clue.

A dramatic work by a riotous composer.

PS: I think it should be doable now.

Comment

Plausible mercia, but what's the musical instrument (or am I just being impossibly dim?)

Comment

But how does Petrushka link to piano? Or am I even dimmer than Anna? Or is Petrushka another name for a musical insrument?

Comment

Did I say which Rubinstein?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Did I say which Rubinstein?
                            No are you going to tell us as clue 3?

Comment

Anton - No - but Stravinsky is red hot.

Comment

mmmmm could this be Ida Rubinstein?

Comment

Working...