X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a reference to Gluck's Les pèlerins de la Mecque (The Pilgrims to Mecca) not long ago, where the answer was Janissary (Turkish music) Perhaps it would have been easier if I'd put Turkish in the clue.

Comment

You are most kind!

Which V links

A trained cellist who admits to a weakness for Metallica
      Someone who used themes by Shostakovich and Saint-Saens.
      A corner of a foreign (Sicilian) field that is forever Yorkshire

Last not musical!

Comment

I wonder if the last clue refers to the Ingham family from Ossett, a member of which lived at the Villa Ingham in Sicily.

V=Villa, hence ....

Comment

Sadly no - not Ingham - think sport!

Comment

funny, this reply box looks different Verily I think this may be Verity. The Radio 3 announcer Verity Sharp is a trained cellist with an apparent long-liking for Metallica. Then if I have the right gentleman, a Wisden cricketer of the year 1932 and slow left-arm bowler is Hedley Verity, another of Anton's bodyline chaps. Absolutely masses of info. on wikipedia, I'm afraid I haven't read all of it, however Mr Verity was shot while on active service during the invasion of Sicily (but died in hospital on the Italian mainland?). Stuck now looking for a Verity who used themes ..................... Are we talking Verity Lambert, TV producer? I shall plump for her. Two of her productions, Jonathan Creek and Reilly, Ace of Spies use respectively Saint-Saens (Danse Macabre?) and Shostakovich (Gadfly) as theme tunes, I think

loads of "guests" online at 6:30am - are they all in America, I wonder?
            Last edited by mercia; 18-06-11, 10:17.

Comment

The perfect answer to the imperfect question - correct in every detail. In my, very humble, opinion Hedley was the greatest spin bowler ever - I leave it to you wise Mercia to decide if Verity Sharp is the greatest presenter ever and to set a weekend W!

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                a weekend W!

won't last all weekend I think, however ............. a W to connect

- FA-cup knockout using coin (not musical )
                - the devil may play it
                - the "little person" asks three questions (all correctly answered)
                - you-two & Johnny

Comment

I may have it Watson ( no not Watson!) but struggling with a strand or 2!

Comment

Is element 3 (the 3 questions) musical?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Is element 3 (the 3 questions) musical?
                      yes, operatic (little person is a politically correct term)

Comment

Are we in the desperately unlucky land of Shropshire Wanderers and Bono?

Comment

Are we in the desperately unlucky land of Shropshire Wanderers and Bono?

Comment

.....and that contrasting set of strikers Wagner and Schubert?

Comment

.....and that contrasting set of strikers Wagner and Schubert?
                              Anton's in sparkling form

Comment

Hardly

The aforementioned Shropshire Wanderers amazingly left the FA Cup on the toss of a coin
                                U2 and Johnny Cash recorded The Wanderer
                                Mime(?) the dwarf in Siegfried has to answer The Wanderer's 3 questions - this is probably a bit off the Mark as I have no Wagner!
                                Schubert's the Wanderer Fantasy was offered to the devil - "...the devil may play it...." by the great man himself.

Excellent question IMHO but no sheep!

Comment

Working...
                                X