This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Think so. You know the words? How does it relate to our C?

Now what about Trust?
    The cavatina "Se vuol ballare" which Wiki says means "if you want to dance". At this time of night I cannot trust myself to get any further!
    Last edited by antongould; 19-06-11, 23:34. Reason: Tired

Comment

Are we talking the Cavatina Chamber Music Trust?

Comment

Well done. You've covered everything now.

Bambi is the story of a young deer whose mother was killed by a deer hunter.
        The Deer Hunter is a 1978 Oscar winning film with a theme tune called Cavatina played by John Willams
        The Cavatina Chamber Music Trust is an organisation aiming to help young people to get to know and like chamber music.
        Beethoven's Op 130 string quartet has a cavatina movement. Before it is a German dance, while the Grosse Fuge follows.
        Mozart's "Se vuol ballare" from the Marriage of Figaro is a cavatina.

Now we can start the D.

Comment

As I have, once again, to join the ranks of the downtrodden workers a quick D

What connects

Oberon
          Stumbled across by Tippett
          A revelation to Banville?

Comment

The first two could be pointing to the great countertenor but I cannot find any link to the third.

Comment

You are there the 3rd is rather oblique but I have come across it twice once on Private Passions and in yesterday's Observer but show your workings and I will let you E - if I am allowed!

Comment

And the voice of Alfred Deller. I had never heard a counter-tenor before I discovered a record of Deller's among my girlfriend's collection. I see myself sitting alone on the floor of her living room one sunstruck morning listening to that unearthly voice singing Campion's "Never Weather Beaten Sail" and feeling my scalp tingle and my palms go damp from the effect of such ease, such purity, such transcendent beauty

yesterday's Observer (will I get into trouble copying a chunk out of a newspaper?)
                John Banville on a '68 trip to California, courtesy google
                Last edited by mercia; 20-06-11, 15:02.

Comment

Cheers

So doversoul has E if he repeats Deller and explains 1 and 2?
                  Last edited by antongould; 20-06-11, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                    If you arrived in Liverpool on Saturday afternoon, Caliban, you will have found the city bathed in golden sunshine and witnessed an excellent sunset over the sea. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Indeed Angle - we arrived around 6pm Saturday, glorious weather.... After a late night, emerging late morning Sunday saw the end of the cloud and Sunday afternoon was quite glorious, late lunch al fresco around the Albert Dock, Liverpool really showing herself to tremendous advantage.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
                      definitely (if you're asking me, which you're probably not)
                      Definitely on the big questions of life it's always First Lady Gould Second Mercia!

Comment

mercia has completed the answer and I am sure s/he has got the links to the first and the second. I wouldn’t have been able to answer the third even after a dozen clues. So I think E should go to mercia.

Comment

WE must have crossed paths on Sunday, Caliban. I, too, was at the Albert Dock, strolling and visiting the Tate. What a lovely afternoon it was. I didn't see a pp hat anywhere, though. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Is anyone going to pose an E ?

Comment

Britten wrote Oberon for Deller and he was discovered by Tippett singing in Canterbury Cathedral - I think E belongs to Dover!

Comment

Seems fair. I didn't figure out the Irish novelist thing till Mercia gave us a clue - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-john-banville

Comment

Oh bother… I keep telling myself to leave this thread alone. If you wouldn’t mind waiting for awhile, I’ll try think up an E question.

Talking about Deller, I would love to know what Tippett thought about the voice when he first heard it.

As we are on the subject, here is a reminder for anyone who will be in the area:

Comment

Working...
                                X