X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I rather feared, this thread has started to turn into the Forum's equivalent of 'Round Britain Quiz'. However, I wish the 'resident panel' continued enjoyment and a Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      As I rather feared, this thread has started to turn into the Forum's equivalent of 'Round Britain Quiz'. However, I wish the 'resident panel' continued enjoyment and a Merry Christmas!
      I never did like that programme, for the reasons you imply, but surely this is different. Anyone can join in. I've made no direct contribution myself, because I don't have the cryptic crossword mind, but you never know...

Comment

Lobgesangen?

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        What L links Stabat Mater, 1812, and Mendelssohn?
        This is a wild stab, but are they all connected with hymns of praise - to Mary, to victory over Napoleon, and to the birth of printing?

Comment

Even if that isn't the right answer, it's a good one.

Comment

Can you explain the Mendelssohn - birth of printing link?

btw the reason I started this was because the others were too hard for me. I hoped I'd be able to join in with the simpler ones - as indeed I did. Once. But you lot are still too erudite for me - now we've had another composer I've never heard of. Graun?

But no complaints! It's good to learn and also to recognise the limitations of one's own knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              Can you explain the Mendelssohn - birth of printing link?
              His Lobgesang symphony was composed for its 400th anniversary.

The only other L that I could associate with Mendelssohn was Leipzig. He may have been a child prodigy but is it really possible that he composed an early Stabat Mater in 1812 at the age of 3?

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

So where now?

Comment

But in that case, what are the Ls associated with Stabat Mater and 1812? And why should the third be Mendelssohn, and not Hymn of Praise - it's not consistent.

Comment

Time for a clue (or two)?

(1) The links involve (in order): arranger, composer, performer (and the relevant performance was in Leipzig)

(2) Some of my contributions on the Choir forum might give a clue to the direction of my thoughts.

Comment

I can't pin it down, but I wonder if a nightingale is involved ...

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          I can't pin it down, but I wonder if a nightingale is involved ...
                          No. You should be looking for a single person.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                            No. You should be looking for a single person.
                            My nightingale was a single person, whom Felix had a bit of a thing for. But I accept we must look elsewhere ..

Comment

Well, I've no idea. I know of several Stabat Maters and indeed have sung a few too, but I can't get to any arranger.

However, this link is fascinating - what an amazing amount of info he collected!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                Well, I've no idea. I know of several Stabat Maters and indeed have sung a few too, but I can't get to any arranger.

However, this link is fascinating - what an amazing amount of info he collected!

http://www.stabatmater.info/index1.html
                                It is one of the handful of well-known settings and the arranger appears on that website.

Comment

Working...
                                X