X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am supposed to be in some sort of retirement but could G have some Scandinavian connection?

Mercia, do you watch that programme? I ask because I never have. Should I ?

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      the works which are parts of Five Tudor Portraits by Vaughan Williams.
      What a nice compact elegant question

Wish I could have had a crack at it as I knew the RVW quote
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        do you watch that programme?
        only out of duty to nephews/nieces - they tell me it is very funny - it seems to be, or has been, something of a cult

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          a G to connect

Bart Carny, Coming to Homerica and Simon Barere
          ... there was a classic episode of The Simpsons in which Bart and Homer both become carnies (carnival workers) - but I can't really tie this in with Барер - and I think this is a completely false trail........

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... there was a classic episode of The Simpsons in which Bart and Homer both become carnies (carnival workers) - but I can't really tie this in with Барер - and I think this is a completely false trail........

... unless - Grieg's Peer Gynt was used as a feem-toon in those episodes of The Simpsons - and S Barer had his heart attack while playing Grieg...

Comment

... unless - Grieg's Peer Gynt was used as a feem-toon in those episodes of The Simpsons - and S Barer had his heart attack while playing Grieg...
              well wikipedia tells me that Morgenstemning / Morning Mood from the PG suite was used in that episode
              so what was used in Coming to Homerica, then H is yours ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                so what was used in Coming to Homerica, then H is yours ?
                The plot (satirising US anti-immigration tendencies) bears rehearsing -
                "Krusty is informed that the Krusty Burger is the unhealthiest fast food in the world (somehow the double krusty burger is healthier), so he decides that his namesake restaurant should serve the "Mother Nature Burger," which is entirely vegetarian. Springfield and the townsfolk initially devour the burgers. While at home, Homer wakes up from his nap to find he has a stomachache. As he finds that all three bathrooms in the house are being used by the family (due to constant vomiting), Homer heaves into Lisa's saxophone, and find that the entire town as well had food poisoning. The illness is traced to tainted barley, which was grown in the neighboring town of Ogdenville. The ensuing boycott destroys the local barley industry and the residents of Ogdenville, who are descended from Norwegian settlers and portrayed as overly stereotypical Minnesotans, are forced to abandon their town (serenaded by the mournful "Aase's Death" (Åse's Death) composed by Norwegian national romantic composer Edvard Grieg and a small capture of Finlandia Hymn by his Finnish counterpart Jean Sibelius) and seek employment in Springfield.

The residents of Springfield are initially hospitable to the displaced Ogdenvillians, and hire them as day laborers. Homer hires several Ogdenvillians to fix his roof, Marge hires a nanny named Inga to care for Bart, Lisa and Maggie, and Selma finds love with Thorbjørn, a brawny blond who also seems to enjoy taunting Homer. After being pressured by some Ogdivillian kids, Bart shows off to them on his skateboard successfully-until he hits a bus, where he dislocates his left arm. Marge and Homer rush Bart to the hospital, and are furious when they need to wait for 6 hours, due to the Ogdivillians taking up a lot of room, and they must also fill out a Norwegian form, due to no English forms left. Marge and Homer take Bart home (where in the process Homer gets a strange cold from one of the Ogdenvillians.) where Marge personally fixes Bart's arm. Homer goes to Moe's Tavern, only to discover that Moe is now serving aquavit, and the bar is full of Ogdenvillians. Homer demands a mug of aquavit, unaware of its strong alcohol content, is instantly intoxicated, and subsequently loses his job at the nuclear power plant when he arrives at work drunk.

Mayor Joe Quimby calls a town meeting, where it is decided that the Springfield border should be closed to residents of Ogdenville. Chief Wiggum and fellow officer Lou are too lazy to control the border themselves, so they distribute guns and beer to a group of vigilantes, among them Homer, Lenny and Carl. After Homer asks the assembled crowd to suggest a name for themselves "that evokes America's proud history of citizens rising up to defend our way of life", Cletus suggests "The Klan" and "The Nazis" but this is eventually rejected in favor of the decidedly less offensive "The Star-Spangled Goofballs." After several failed attempts to keep Ogdenvillians out of Springfield, the vigilantes decide to build a wall. At first, Marge believes the wall contradicts the values of tolerance that she taught their children, but changes her mind when Maggie utters her second word, (The first being "daddy", but no one was around to hear it), the Norwegian word "ja" (meaning "yes"). The residents of Springfield begin building a massive wall and ironically hire workers from Ogdenville to assist with its construction since they cannot build it themselves. As the building progresses, the residents of both communities discover that their similarities outweigh their differences. Once the wall is complete, the residents of both communities realize that they miss their neighbors, so the Ogdenvillians come back through a door they built in the wall to join a Springfield party."

an H follows...

Comment

okely-dokely...

"which H might, either himself (tho' probably he wouldn't be so inclined ) or, alternatively, a Rimsky-Korsakov opera - join with a Rameau harpsichord work to create a Mussorgsky piano piece?"
                  Last edited by vinteuil; 21-06-11, 16:56. Reason: punctu-ation

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    What a nice compact elegant question

Wish I could have had a crack at it as I knew the RVW quote
                    Are you barred, Caliban?

Is it a condition of your probation that you don't participate in AA the while??

You've been almost as quiet as that Amateur bloke

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Are you barred, Caliban?

Is it a condition of your probation that you don't participate in AA the while??

You've been almost as quiet as that Amateur bloke

Nah... ongoing entertaining and work means I can only spend a couple of minutes at a time at the old ordinateur.... I am reliant on happening upon a question I know the answer to at once, and then being able to pose a follow-up quickie. "Wham - Bam - Thank you, Am" if you catch my drift

Glad you had a fun and safe trip to France tho sorry to hear the mozzies got at you. I suspect the food and drink compensated

Comment

okely-dokely...

"which H might, either himself (tho' probably he wouldn't be so inclined ) or, alternatively, a Rimsky-Korsakov opera - join with a Rameau harpsichord work to create a Mussorgsky piano piece?"
                        Having just returned from the coalface I am searching for a little light/clue/pointer - I failed French O level miserably and have no Russian!

Comment

okely-dokely...

Ooh! I've come over all sudden...

Could it be Hen ?

Mussorgsky wrote the 'Picture' of a wooden cabin on hen's legs...

Rameau's harpsichord works included La Poule, the hen...

And... euh.... ... doesn't really tie in with the first element though...

Comment

Maybe Hartmann?

Comment

Caliban -

so very near...

- another gender [EDIT - and another language].
                              - another piece from that Mussorgsky.
                              The Rameau is correct.
                              Last edited by vinteuil; 23-06-11, 06:54. Reason: additional clew

Comment

Well, there’s The Golden Cockerel and Unhatched chicks but I can’t see no heichs nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X