X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nineteen. There are nineteen works by British composers on the CD of the Severn Bridge Variations.
    Alan Hohvaness has symphony 19 which is called Requiem and Resurrection.

That's my bit for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Nineteen. There are nineteen works by British composers on the CD of the Severn Bridge Variations.
      Alan Hohvaness has symphony 19 which is called Requiem and Resurrection.

That's my bit for now.
      There are six composers of the Severn Bridge variations according to this informative article http://www.musicweb-international.co...ons_france.htm

Three of them were English and three from Wales. The six who accepted the commission were Malcolm Arnold, Alun Hoddinott, Nicolas Maw, Daniel Jones, Grace Williams and Michael Tippett. They were given the task of each writing a variation on the fine old Welsh hymn tune ‘Braint’. This tune was published in the popular hymn book ‘Songs of Praise’ as No. 505.

Comment

am51

Yes, but for some reason the NME recording mentions 19 composers - see the cover - http://www.musicweb-international.co...y01/themes.htm The CD doesn't just have the Severn Bridge variations. Maybe clutching at straws. The Hohvaness symphony is also called Vishnu.

Comment

A very weak link to 19 is that Strindberg's play, and the operas based on it, relate to 19th Century living.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            There are six composers of the Severn Bridge variations according to this informative article http://www.musicweb-international.co...ons_france.htm

Three of them were English and three from Wales. The six who accepted the commission were Malcolm Arnold, Alun Hoddinott, Nicolas Maw, Daniel Jones, Grace Williams and Michael Tippett. They were given the task of each writing a variation on the fine old Welsh hymn tune ‘Braint’. This tune was published in the popular hymn book ‘Songs of Praise’ as No. 505.
            Your man is one of these six!
            .......and I hope someone else wrote a R symphony checking now!!!!!!!

Comment

just found out that Rubbra's number 9 is a Resurrection

Comment

Very true 2 strands enough to get the connection?

Comment

So is Nine the word then?

Malcolm Arnold wrote nine symphonies.
                  Rubbra's ninth already discovered.

Comment

no where does Alwyn fit?

Comment

I have to drive south now - I think from the 3 composers you will get it - if not the question has been a load of Cobblers

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Cobblers
                        a clue?

so our 3 composers are Rubbra, Alwyn and ......... er......... Arnold

Comment

No idea. Stumped. Alwyn also wrote Miss Julie - but I thought we decided on Ned Rorem.

I suppose Rubbra (Edmund) could also have been called Ned. Just going round and round here! Too hot - driving home now.

Comment

cobblers = shoes = Northampton = birthplace of Rubbra, Alwyn and Arnold ( I hope)

Comment

mercia

They check out OK!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post

cobblers = shoes = Northampton = birthplace of Rubbra, Alwyn and Arnold ( I hope)
                                Malcolm Arnold wrote the wonderful music for the fillum Hobson's Choice which is about a cobbler, his daughter and her beau who works for the cobbler

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As ever, way off the point ...

Comment

Working...
                                X