X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    What does this mean, please?
    I assume that it means that we are in search of a Q that links "early morning", "looking" and "bit of fun".

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      I assume that it means that we are in search of a Q that links "early morning", "looking" and "bit of fun".
      but it's a simple one-word answer, so no use thinking of Satan's self-description as a lion,
      "Quaerens quem devoret" [seeking whom he might devour]
      Last edited by vinteuil; 17-01-11, 17:03. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        Would it have been too much trouble to simply say so?

Comment

Another late morning for me, and deathly quiet. What have I done? I genuinely thought the last question was about as straightforward as they come. Completely musical, referring to two of the most widely known composers and well before Simon’s cut off date.

All I can offer is to do what OFCACHAP suggests and make it as bread-and-butter as possible:

What Q connects ‘Sunrise’, ‘Hunt’ and ‘Lark’?

Comment

Quartets!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              rn,

here goes, with an attempt to recover our lost innocence by reverting to Simon’s simple circular rule of three.

Solution is one word, starting with Q.

It’s early morning and we’re looking for a bit of fun.

(Remember, classic rules, so no diagonals.)
              Don - that was most elegant. Felicitations...

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                Quartets!
                There is someone out there!

Well done Tapiola, and welcome to the inner circle (which is absolutely not what it is, I hasten to add).

Would you like to give us all an R question, in your own time?

[They were indeed, all named string quartets, by Haydn (1 & 3) and Mozart (2).]

Comment

Thank you Don, and how elegant your original clue indeed was! I cannot hope to emulate the style though I will give R some thought and return forthwith.

Comment

Welcome indeed! In view of the length of time that elapsed before the clue was posted, I can't help wondering whether I was the only person to set off in completely the wrong direction having been seduced into equating 'searching' and 'looking' with the idea of a 'quest'.

Comment

Ok, here goes...

What "R" connects an incomplete percussive technique, a partial sky and an unaspirated German composer?

(Apologies if this is not up to erstwhile standards)

Comment

Hmmm. May I amend this question slightly? I posted in haste.

What "R" connects an incomplete percussive technique, a completion of sky and an unaspirated German composer?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                          Quartets!
                          It was a great question! It had me foxed but is one of those that on hearing the solution makes me metaphorically slap the forehead and think: of course!!!

And great to see fresh blood solving it...

OFACHAP, I was with you down the 'quest' blind alley

R..........
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Dark, wasn't it?

Comment

Well I think Don had me treading water around Roger Quilter for some reason but I would not have guessed the answer but for the follow up clues.

Regarding "R", I should say that the three clues are all related to Music.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                I sympathise with you both, in that for some reason once you get an alley of an idea in your head, it is incredibly difficult to back out and wipe the slate clean for some other line of attack.

I'm sorry no-one guessed it without the translation. I suppose that with my crossword mind always running through synonyms in the background I hoped someone would hit on 'sunrise' for early morning or 'lark' for bit of fun, and take it on from there.

I've been out so not yet grappled with Tapiola's conundrum, which looks interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X