Should be easy.
    Dame Nellie Melba?

Comment

Yes! What was the OBE bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Yes! What was the OBE bit?
        No idea really, I just do toast.

She was Dame Commander of the British Empire in 1918 for her charity work, during World War I, and was elevated to Dame Grand Cross of the British Empire in 1927. She was the first Australian to appear on the cover of Time magazine, in April 1927

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          No idea really, I just do toast.
          That holiday feeling didn't last long, did it? Magnificent

Comment

Anna

Well done. The N is yours.

Re the OBE I think she was also the first stage person to be so honoured.

Comment

Sorry for the delay.

A lighthearted and exceptionally simple N

Talking about toast, whilst he's not thinking about Thomas he might like to be paired with a slice
              Dennis Potter may ask us to do something
              Responsible for an electrifying performance?
              From Quattro Stagioni to Gefilte Fish?
              Last edited by Guest; 08-07-11, 08:39. Reason: speling

Comment

And some people thought my clues were tough!

Will be a while on this one - not obvious at first glance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  And some people thought my clues were tough!
                  Will be a while on this one - not obvious at first glance.
                  Not too tough (compared to some of yours! ) It's a composer, 2 tv dramas, a composer and a performer sort of turned composer. I'll be offline now until approx 11.45

Comment

N-N-N-Nigel?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      N-N-N-Nigel?
                      Oh well done, anton!

I've got the Potter clue now but what about the others?

Comment

I was thinking about Slater - Toast- and Kennedy(?) but Lady Gould says I'm only allowed to play at weekends...........

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          I was thinking about Slater - Toast- and Kennedy(?) but Lady Gould says I'm only allowed to play at weekends...........
                          Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Oh well done, anton!

I've got the Potter clue now but what about the others?
                          Well done both, Ams has the Potter (care to share?), anton has Kennedy (clue was going from playing Vivaldi to Klezmer of course! Quattro Stagioni also being a variety of pizza, just to expand the food reference)

First composer's surname might suggest a toasty accompaniment? Other composer has been featured before in a 'U' round ......... I think the two of you are in Unison?
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-07-11, 12:16. Reason: further clue

Comment

Well done both, Ams has the Potter (care to share?), anton has Kennedy (clue was going from playing Vivaldi to Klezmer of course! Quattro Stagioni also being a variety of pizza, just to expand the food reference)

First composer's surname might suggest a toasty accompaniment? Other composer has been featured before in a 'U' round ......... I think the two of you are in Unison?
                            Dennis Potter's early TV plays Vote Vote Vote for Nigel Barton and Stand Up For Nigel Barton (with the terrifyingly young Keith Barron)

Comment

Correct Ams. And both available on one dvd for under a fiver at Amazon. Bit of trivia: Potter stood as the Labour Party candidate for Hertfordshire East, a safe Conservative Party seat, in the 1964 general election against the incumbent Derek Walker-Smith. By the end of the campaign, he claimed that he was so disillusioned with party politics that he did not even vote for himself.

Comment

Correct Ams. And both available on one dvd for under a fiver at Amazon. Bit of trivia: Potter stood as the Labour Party candidate for Hertfordshire East, a safe Conservative Party seat, in the 1964 general election against the incumbent Derek Walker-Smith. By the end of the campaign, he claimed that he was so disillusioned with party politics that he did not even vote for himself.
                                Oh I didn't realise they were available, Anna - many thanks. I'm currently considering ( in other words dithering) getting a trial offer of LoveFilm so I should check if they'd be on LoveFilm's list.

I really miss DP's provocative nature - I loved that 'last interview' that he did with Melvyn Bragg

A friend has just pulled out of standing as a councillor because he's had a similar experience of disillusionment with party politics - how depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X