This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out the TV advert.

Hasn't Anna figured out a cheesy connection yet?

Perhaps you need to have a stab at the Q answer, then it should become very much clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Check out the TV advert.
      Hasn't Anna figured out a cheesy connection yet?
      Perhaps you need to have a stab at the Q answer, then it should become very much clearer.
      No, sorry, been moving furniture all day, no time to think! Like mercia I know the culinary term Dulce. Wilfred Owen wrote Dulce et Decorum Est but no Q's there that I can see.

Comment

You have to think Spanish! In fact there are several Spanish connections, but spelling them out might make it trivially easy.

Comment

You have to think Spanish!
          Que?

Comment

or Queso ?

By the way, trivially easy is what seems to be required here after 36 hours - and I have only just come in on it, fresh from the hills and shores of Galloway.

Now to bed.
            Last edited by Angle; 10-07-11, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              or Queso ?
              ¿que es el queso? ¿ Como se hace el queso?

Hurrah! Angle to the rescue! I am lost, is there a fish called Cheese?

Comment

Goes with cheese maybe. Grows on trees.

If we don't get much closer soon I'll give you a number of hints which should take you straight to it.

Comment

Goes with cheese maybe. Grows on trees.
                  ah-ha, this would be Quince cheese, Hartley's quince jam (possibly), "Peter Quince at the Clavier" by Wallace Stevens from his first book of poetry "Harmonium". Do the Spanish have something called Dulce de membrillo which is either quince cheese or quince paste or something?

EDIT - ah, update, Norman Lumsden who was the actor in the yellow pages adverts was also an opera singer particularly in the works of Britten. He appeared as Quince the carpenter in A Midsummer Night's Dream, in fact the part was written with his voice in mind. Britten described him as "that rare British product, a true bass". As an actor he appeared in several TV series throughout the 1970's, 80's and 90's. (wikipedia)

don't know why I was so slow to get that
                  Last edited by mercia; 11-07-11, 07:39.

Comment

mercia
                    Your brilliance at all hours of the day and night never eases to amaze........

Comment

tush, tush

good ol' yellow pages

Comment

Quince is also Spanish for 15, which is an additional Iberian reference. I think that makes it mercia's turn. Well done!

I believe that some people like to eat quince jelly with cheese (or maybe cheese with quince jelly) or do they call it quince cheese? The Spanish have somethins similar as Mercia has pointed out.

I was surprised to find that Lumsden had previously been an opera singer, and the Britten connection, but thought it fun to use that.

Comment

I was surprised to find that Lumsden had previously been an opera singer, and the Britten connection, but thought it fun to use that.
                          fascinating biog. to Mr Lumsden, great question Dave

not as interesting, an R to connect

10% of Jean's fan, Iphigenie, and the siege of Chittor

Comment

Thinking "aloud" .... Racine wrote Iphigenie, and Gluck has two operas on Iphigenie. Chittor is in Rajasthan.
                            Rana and rani are words relating to some Indian people. Can't get anywhere with the fan, though Racine's name was Jean. Perhaps that's a reference to Gluck, or some other writer/composer. Mmm. Will take a while maybe.

Comment

Will take a while maybe.
                              sounds fair

Jean's fan is a musical work and Iphigenie is a ship

generous clues

Comment

L'éventail de Jeanne (Jean's Fan) is a children's ballet by 10 French composers. They include Ravel and Roussel. There's also a Roland amongst them. Roussel was a sailor at one time I think, and sailed on the Iphigenie to Indonesia, so it's probably Roussel. Why the siege link ... More work needed, but then I ought to be doing some!

Indeed, v generous clues!

Comment

Working...
                                X