X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just the siege left then the S is yours

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      L'éventail de Jeanne (Jean's Fan) is a children's ballet by 10 French composers. They include Ravel and Roussel. There's also a Roland amongst them. Roussel was a sailor at one time I think, and sailed on the Iphigenie to Indonesia, so it's probably Roussel. Why the siege link ... More work needed, but then I ought to be doing some!

Indeed, v generous clues!
      Very generous clues make the game go round
      Quickly!

It is still a game, innit?

Comment

Opera-ballet Padmâvatî (1918, staged 1923). Roussel was inspired by his visit to the ruined city of Chittor in Rajasthan.

Sorry, am - will try to provide an easier S, with quicker turnaround. Will be a little while though, as really MUST work now, and going to see Don Pasquale tonight.

How do others cope with this - is there an easy way to be alerted when anyone has posted? RSS perhaps? Otherwise polling the boards does get a bit obsessive and tedious.
        If we don't know about RSS maybe ff or Mark Sealey would know.

Comment

Opera-ballet Padmâvatî
          well done Dave

Comment

An S for you

Abandoned work by badly translated water sheep.
            in the garden 1743
            Kerfuffle about this and the Middle-East in Belgium in 2009

Comment

An S for you
              I think badly translated water sheep should be Ram-eau whose opera Samson seems to be lost although the Voltaire libretto apparently survives
              Handel's Samson premiered at Covent Garden on 18 Feb. 1743
              Flanders Opera's 2009 production of Saint-Saens's Samson et Dalila seems to have caused a kerfuffle basically because the Hebrews were turned into Palestinians and the Philistines into Israelis, but I'm still reading about what happened next.

so I reckon S = Samson

Comment

Bang on - very well done mercia! Thumbs up x 3! [icons seem to disappear on this iPad]

Over to you for T - spaghetti/tagliatelle almost right now, allegedly.

Comment

Over to you for T - spaghetti/tagliatelle almost right now, allegedly.
                  Well, don't know about mercia, but it's certainly pasta for T here as well! Just catching up, I thought the Ram-eau clue was very funny. Love Rameau btw, but everything I have of him is by Frans Bruggen, don't you think he does it the best?

Comment

T

some enchanted evening a prince of Rome sings in Beecham's Messiah

(far too easy)

Comment

GiorgioTozzi

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                        GiorgioTozzi
                        Oh, of course!! My Word! If I hadn't been cooking Tagliatelle I would have got that instantly! Not! And, my Dear merce/Angle, no puzzle is too easy for those of us who struggle.

Comment

GiorgioTozzi

Tarquinius & de Becque, as you were about to tell me

Comment

I am afraid I couldn't immediately identify the Prince of Rome but I knew Tozzi sang the SP song and worked with Beecham. Then Tarquin came to mind.

I have never known anyone called Tarquin, something which should not come as a surprise in the North of England.

I await the call to duty, Mercia, not having the gall to go ahead without it.

Comment

I await the call to duty, Mercia, not having the gall to go ahead without it.
                              you don't have to wait for me Angle go right ahead sir

there was a Tarquin Biscuitbarrel at the Crosby by-election 1981

Comment

Sounds about right for Crosby, Mercia

A nightshirt, a game of tic-tac-toe and this in my hand are all connected by this U

Comment

Working...
                                X