X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, being dim, what was the answer to T. Tarquin or Tozzi? You know, some of us at the back can't keep up without an explanation!

Comment

Dim, Anna? Dim? Perish the thought!

Giorgio Tozzi sang in Beecham's Messiah, Some Enchanted Evening in South Pacific and the part of Tarquinus in Britten's Rape of Lucretia so I think it must have been Tozzi. I hope that Mercia agrees now that I have posted U.

Comment

Re the pasta which may have put Anna off, did anyone else hear that item on R4 around 5:30pm which revealed that the mythical "average family" has pasta on Mondays at 5:53pm?

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
          Sounds about right for Crosby, Mercia
          What's special about Crosby - or not? I once knew it quite well, a long time ago.

Comment

I think it must have been Tozzi.
            sorry if I didn't make it clear that Tozzi was indeed what I was looking for. wiki says that he dubbed Brazzi's voice in the film South Pacific and made his professional debut as Tarquinius, anyway it's all in wiki so not much point me repeating it all. Anna's probably worried about her archiving duties.

Comment

A nightshirt,
              anything to do with George Formby or Johann Strauss?

EDIT "With a little Ukelele in my hand", "Noughts and Crosses", "Grandad's flanelette nightshirt" ukelele-playing Formby songs

I'm guessing U = ukelele
              Last edited by mercia; 12-07-11, 07:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Re the pasta which may have put Anna off, did anyone else hear that item on R4 around 5:30pm which revealed that the mythical "average family" has pasta on Mondays at 5:53pm?
                er, no I didn't hear that, now I understand your previous post
                all sounds rather improbable. was that Eddie Mair being funny on the PM programme?

Comment

Well done, Mercia. I thought I had made it just a little more abstract than has proved to be the case. U is ukelele.

Now for your T.

There is nothing at all special about Crosby but it receives a lot of casual visitors seeking out the 100 naked men on the beach. I think they are known collectively as "Another Place".

Comment

Now for your T.
                    this very early hour has put you in backwards mode Angle

if I may I will proceed to a quick V ............ to connect

- the Israeli National Anthem
                    - St John's Rapids
                    - my mistress is prettie

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      er, no I didn't hear that, now I understand your previous post
                      all sounds rather improbable. was that Eddie Mair being funny on the PM programme?
                      I think it was him. They had Antonio Carluccio making pasta, which was supposed to be ready before the 6pm news. I wonder what the survey said for Tuesday.

Comment

http://funtechstuff.blogspot.com/200...-mistress.html. A few like that, all variations on the same theme.

Not getting very far with the clues yet, but don't spoil it with hints for a while yet.

Comment

don't know if you want a clue

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          - the Israeli National Anthem
                          - St John's Rapids
                          - my mistress is prettie

if you type my mistress is prettie into wiki's search box you only get one reply, all your answers are there

Comment

Did you like the joke? I'd not heard/seen that one before.

Anyone cracked the V yet?

Comment

VLTAVA

Israeli National Anthem This melody was used by the Czech composer Bedřich Smetana in his symphonic poem celebrating Bohemia, “Má vlast,” as “Vltava” (Die Moldau)
                              St John’s Rapids Smetana Vltava
                              My mistress is prettie The same melody, later also known as "Ballo di Mantova" or "Aria di Mantova" gained wide currency in Renaissance Europe, being recorded variously as the Scottish “My mistress is prettie,” the Polish “Pod Krakowem,” Spanish "Virgen de la Cueva" and the Ukrainian “Kateryna Kucheryava.”

Comment

a fulsome answer Mr Angular, I reckon it's your turn next (as and when)

Comment

Working...
                                X