X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sincere apologies to all. I had forgotten that I would be away today. I am still away and unable to set W. Would you take over for me Mercia or Dave. I shall be heavily indebted to you. Sorry again about this. It must be the early risings and the heat. Best wishes

Comment

OK - here is what is perhaps a very easy one.

W:

Who, or what, links Carmen, a Beethoven first, and Erich Korngold?

Comment

Perhaps happy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Perhaps happy?
          Obviously Not! Our Happy Band of Campers (Oh, I say, some are less Camp than others if they cannot link Carmen to Korngold!) Winky, Winky.

So, perhaps best to put AA to bed after 3 days of silence?

Comment

Time to put out the cat and remember the cat food. G 'night all!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Obviously Not! Our Happy Band of Campers (Oh, I say, some are less Camp than others if they cannot link Carmen to Korngold!) Winky, Winky.

So, perhaps best to put AA to bed after 3 days of silence?
              Well well well I have returned today after absence... and I find that AA has been struck by the summer doldrums

I guess it is to be expected with holiday absences, Prom listening etc etc. I was hoping to re-engage with some old faces, hope things pick up.

I have had a think about W, Anna - maybe I'm not camp enough but I can't see a connection between Korngold and Carmen...

Is Winky Winky a W clue???

Anyway greetings to all (and a special Toot Toot for you Anna ) and I hope very much that AA hasn't run out of steam....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I have had a think about W, Anna - maybe I'm not camp enough but I can't see a connection between Korngold and Carmen...
                Ooh, Hello Ducky! I hope your houseguests have not depleted your Campness Quota one Iota!! I suspect I may have been on the wrong track with the W, for some reason I thought Wagner had a finger in the pie of fantasies
                Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Anyway greetings to all (and a special Toot Toot for you Anna ) and I hope very much that AA hasn't run out of steam....
                And a Toot Toot to you aussi. I've been brushing up on my French bakery skills, you know, wafting around barefoot in a cloud of steam and flour and this morning having produced the perfect Pain Rustique aux Cereales I am feeling positively Zolaesque but, I am just about to prepare a side of salmon, so mix that with a bit of Nancy Mitford!!

Comment

This person shared a name with Mendelssohn.

Comment

a Beethoven first
                    wiki says Weingartner was "the first to make commercial recordings of all nine Beethoven symphonies"
                    thanks for the clue
                    last of five wives Carmen Studer
                    Korngold's Sinfonietta is dedicated to FW and was premiered by him
                    (I've got one ear on H. Brian's Gothic and an eye on the TV with the hacking scandal and I can't decide which is more bizarre)

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      (I've got one ear on H. Brian's Gothic and an eye on the TV with the hacking scandal and I can't decide which is more bizarre)
                      The most least bizarre is Brooks being arrested, by appointment, on a Sunday, so she cannot appear in front of a tribunal on Tuesday and say anything. Conspiracy theory? No, surely not ............

Comment

I thought that the papers were a bit over indulgent recently when they had headlines like "10 days which shook the UK". Sure, yes, if you care, and have nothing better to do than worry about the survival of the media and other related aspects of UK society. Compared with the Japanese tsunami and the reactor meltdowns which followed, some might argue that "troubles" in the media are not important.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          wiki says Weingartner was "the first to make commercial recordings of all nine Beethoven symphonies"
                          thanks for the clue
                          last of five wives Carmen Studer
                          Korngold's Sinfonietta is dedicated to FW and was premiered by him
                          Yes.

I was hoping that the cat references might have triggered a response a little earlier. I don't think many people have been around. Indeed, we took a hundred mile plus trip northward over the weekend, so only logged in sporadically.

Well done!
                          Last edited by Dave2002; 17-07-11, 23:04.

Comment

Sure, yes, if you care, and have nothing better to do than worry about the survival of the media and other related aspects of UK society
                            Funnily enough Dave, for some that is a major concern.

Comment

Anna

I personally believe that the media (including the BBC and other TV and radio organisations) and the people in them, think that they are too important. I'm not disputing that they have a role, and sometimes it is a good or useful one, and having a "free" press is a lot better than some form of state run press agency. To consider the current upheavals as cataclysmic is very exaggerated. The Japanese people have had far worse to deal with.

We will go through the motions of cleaning this up, but in five years things will probably be pretty much the same. The Murdochs, however, may be out, as they could find it hard to survive the fallout in the USA. Until now there could well have been a nice little circle of self interest between journalists, politicians and the police and, sadly, the ordinary population who made papers such as the NOTW profitable by buying them. We will try to change things, and the worst excesses will submerge for a while. There's probably a bit more muck to appear yet, so of course we'll all be following avidly. Exactly the kind of behaviour which made the NOTW so successful in the first place!

Comment

don't know if people have strong opinions about this but I wasn't going to set another question because I think this game may have come to a natural conclusion. But I guess it's easy enough to start up again either here or on a new thread if there's enough interest. It's had a good run, judging by the numbers!

Comment

Working...
                                X