• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I don't and I'm not :cool2:
    Do we particularly need to know this?

Comment

Neither am I. (An opera buff.)

Not to worry: I'll hang around until something within my narrow ambit comes along. And then no doubt somebody else will get it just before me.

Edit: and now I'm wondering if an ambit can be said to be narrow. When I think about it, I don't really know what one is.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        and now I'm wondering if an ambit can be said to be narrow. When I think about it, I don't really know what one is
        I'm not sure either, but I know it's less risky than a gambit and less frisky than a lembit.

Comment

Is the answer to "T" - (Il) Trittico, by Puccini?

Comment

To elaborate, a cloak is used to hide the body of the murdered Luigi in 'Il Tabarro', 'Suor Angelica' is the nun and 'Gianni Schicchi' concerns the will of an old guy called Donati.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
              Is the answer to "T" - (Il) Trittico, by Puccini?
              Well done, Tapiola. For Simon's and Caliban's benefit it is the triptych of operas comprising Il Tabarro (the cloak), Suor Angelica (the nun) and Gianni Schicchi (the will). I was toying with setting 'Theremin', especially after I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDoV3sMgDhE

Over to U...

Comment

Dashed clever, these northern forest spirits.

Comment

The winds blow cold and bleak round these parts. I have now attempted a cryptic, quite contrived, conundrum for "U". Which "U" clarifies the following sentence?

Jennifer Bate, the new avenger of Haworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                    The winds blow cold and bleak round these parts.
                    Perhaps you need some more robust undergarments , Tapiola?

Comment

Well done, Tapiola.
                      Indeed, seconded!

For Simon's and Caliban's benefit it is the triptych of operas comprising Il Tabarro (the cloak), Suor Angelica (the nun) and Gianni Schicchi (the will).
                      Thank you. I know Tabarro (largely because of the amazing tenor aria within it) but not, as yet, the others.

I was toying with setting 'Theremin',
                      I'm glad you only toyed with the idea!

especially after I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDoV3sMgDhE
                      ...and are we really supposed to believe in this "instrument"?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        Do we particularly need to know this?
                        Merely explaining why I haven't hastened forward with the answer...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Is it against the rules to replace one's conundrum with another? I have thought of a better one for "U" (a product of having invested in warmer drawers...).

Comment

[QUOTE=rubbernecker;24824]For Simon's and Caliban's benefit it is the triptych of operas comprising Il Tabarro (the cloak), Suor Angelica (the nun) and Gianni Schicchi (the will). QUOTE]

Good question, that. I knew Suor A was about a load of nuns, and that the plot of Gianni Sch. hinges on a will. Had I remembered that the Tabarro meant Cloak, I could have got that.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Is it against the rules to replace one's conundrum with another?
                              I'm afraid it is (he said, arbitrarily).

But it is not against the rules to provide two distinct conundrums for the same letter - so we look forward to it!

Please "edit" your original post and insert conundrum No 2 into it. Thanks!
                              Last edited by Guest; 19-01-11, 18:17. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks Simon.

I should have been clearer. May I offer 2 distinct conundrums with different answers for the same letter, or must the 2 conundrums equate to the same answer?

Sorry to be awkward.

Comment

Working...
                                X