X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on - do I get the feeling we are, as on occasions before, alone in the AA universe!?

Comment

And, not forgetting that upon the death of William Booth Vachel Lindsay wrote the poem, "General William Booth Enters Into Heaven" Charles Ives, who had been Evangeline Booth's neighbour, set the poem to music

Comment

yes I came across that "Enters into Heaven" then rejected it in favour of the string quartet

this J is on exactly the same lines as my H question

a J maestro who links Dortmund, Monte Carlo and Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          yes I came across that "Enters into Heaven" then rejected it in favour of the string quartet

this J is on exactly the same lines as my H question

a J maestro who links Dortmund, Monte Carlo and Pittsburgh
          I started off thinking it was J for Jansons but swerved past that to J for Janowski

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            J for Janowski

your turn

Comment

As y'all know I am not clever enough to devise a cryptic clue so here is my humble offering based on obscure facts.

Each clue refers to the same musical person

What K

Once swindled an archbishop out of a prize fish ?

As a pedagogue, promoted the use of a contrivance made from two parallel rails of mahogany wood that were placed on two feet and loosely attached to the piano. This apparatus should restrict vertical motions of the arms thereby helping nascent pianists to attain the (perceived) correct position of the hands?

Almost became Chopin’s tutor?
              Last edited by Guest; 26-09-11, 13:59. Reason: trypos

Comment

As y'all know I am not clever enough to devise a cryptic clue so here is my humble offering based on obscure facts.

What K

As a pedagogue, promoted the use of a contrivance made from two parallel rails of mahogany wood that were placed on two feet and loosely attached to the piano. This apparatus should restrict vertical motions of the arms thereby helping nascent pianists to attain the (perceived) correct position of the hands?

Yay! An Am51 clue! Unfortunately I have to go out now but looking forward to getting stuck into this on return if no one has solved it
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I must head off to hozzie to collect a friend who's having an endoscopy sesh and deliver her to another friend's house for close over-night scrutiny.

I think it's a bit early to start giving clues so I'll see how you're all a-doing when I return later tonight
                  Last edited by Guest; 26-09-11, 16:11. Reason: trypo

Comment

I must head off to hozzie to collect a friend who's having an endoscopy sesh and deliver her to another friend's house for close over-night scrutiny.

I think it's a bit early to start giving clues so I'll see how you're all a-doing when I return later tonight
                    You're an angel of mercy in human form, Ams. Oh, and by "clue" I wasn't angling - should have said "question"....

Comment

What K

What a fascinating plunge into the nether regions of musical history you have inspired, Monsieur l'Amateur.

We're talking about Herr Friedrich Kalkbrenner. Everyone thought he was the mutt's nuts on the pianoforte until Liszt and Chopin came along.

He invented the contraption you mention; Chopin was advised against studying with him; and there's a story that he flashed his card at a market vendor who had promised a particularly magnificent fish in the Paris fish market to the chef of the Archbishop, whereupon the vendor gave it to Kalkbrenner gratis.

Comment

As Ammy is out ministering to the sick of his parish, I am going to presume to set an easy-peasy L, coz I'm sure K is correct

Which L unites two Toms, Jan and Giovanni?

Comment

Spot on Caliban!

Comment

Is a clue called for?

Comment

Yes, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Which L unites two Toms, Jan and Giovanni?
                                OK then...

Three of the individuals referred to are commonly known by a middle name as well as a first name: the middle names in question are Luis, Dismas and Pierluigi...

Comment

Working...
                                X