This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
    May I offer 2 distinct conundrums with different answers for the same letter, or must the 2 conundrums equate to the same answer?
    And here I was thinking that my efforts to make this game more user-friendly were meeting with some success.

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Comment

The winds blow cold and bleak round these parts. I have now attempted a cryptic, quite contrived, conundrum for "U". Which "U" clarifies the following sentence?

Jennifer Bate, the new avenger of Haworth.
          Un-likely to be any connection?
          Last edited by Guest; 19-01-11, 18:08. Reason: See next post

Comment

I herewith revoke all obfuscatory diversions from my original conundrum.

As you were...

Jennifer Bate, the new avenger of Haworth.

A clue: two words, hyphenated (the first beginning with "U")

Comment

I should have been clearer.
              Indeed you should. But we won't hold it against you this time, my friend - though I can't speak for Ofachap.

May I offer 2 distinct conundrums with different answers for the same letter, or must the 2 conundrums equate to the same answer?
              You may offer either, as long as you make it clear which of the two options you are offering.

Best, Simon

Comment

Thank you Simon for the clarification but I fear I shall be shot down in flames should I change my mind again, so I shall have to stick with my original. Another clue? Think soundtracks for the second and third elements of the conundrum...

Comment

Wot no takers? The only link that I've come up with so far is that Joanna Lumley, one of the New Avengers, was Utterly purdey (ho!ho!) and Branwell Bronte was Utterly Unstable.

Comment

To be more specific, think of soundtrack for the New Avengers and an opera based on probably the most famous creation to emanate from Haworth.

One further concerns a medieval symbol of purity...

Comment

In the hope that it might help somebody, I can report that Michael Berkeley composed an opera based on 'Jane Eyre'. At which point the scent runs cold as far as I'm concerned. It seems to me that the degree of interest in any given question decreases as the number of clues increases...

Comment

To be more specific, think of soundtrack for the New Avengers and an opera based on probably the most famous creation to emanate from Haworth.

One further concerns a medieval symbol of purity...
                        I'd already gone up the Laurie Johnson/Bernard Herrmann route but had got no further

Comment

An American publisher called Berkeley Medallion published a book called the New Avengers. (Probably quite irrelevant, but something I didn't know before Tapiola started giving us the run-around!)

Comment

I've learnt that the late, great Wilfred Josephs wrote the score to the 70's TV series The Brontes of Haworth. And that there is an organ stop called Unda Maris, so it hasn't all been a waste of time!

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                              I'd already gone up the Laurie Johnson/Bernard Herrmann route but had got no further
                              Keep going...

A medieval symbol of purity - quite singular in fact.

Comment

Unicorn?

Comment

Working...
                                X