Lee Majors
      A band who have released at least 28 albums
      A famous artistic scandal which broke on 25 November 1934

Comment

you are the bionic man!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          I feel like the patsy guys

And you definitely know the anser, mercia, judging from your last message.

O all right then...

Easy:

Jack Nicholson and Karen Black both starred in "Five Easy Pieces", which contained music by Bach, Mozart and Chopin.
          Brillig, Taps!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Brillig, Taps!
            I concur

Comment

Does the F stand for forger or forgery?

Lee Majors seems to have appeared in at least 2 TV films related to forgery and it's possible the one of the Van Meergeren forgeries was spotted on the day in question. And there's a band called The Forgers' Band.

Otherwise, I'm stumped

'No change there then'

Comment

I like your way of thinking, ams, but the F in question is a far more mundane word than forger(ies).

A clue: the 1934 scandal involved a musician whose name also begins with F.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  I like your way of thinking, ams, but the F in question is a far more mundane word than forger(ies).

A clue: the 1934 scandal involved a musician whose name also begins with F.
                  Not Alice F-F-Faye in George White's Scandals, a musical fillum of 1934?

Comment

N-n-non, malheureusement...

Comment

not The Fall ?

I was thinking of the Flemish painting [the Ghent Altarpiece by van Eyck] stolen on that day* by Arsene Goedetier, referred to in - indeed a prominent symbol in - Camus' la Chute...

EDIT * or rather - stolen on 10 April 1934; Goedetier's deathbed confession 25 Nov 1934...
                      Last edited by vinteuil; 04-10-11, 19:26.

Comment

A Manchester band called The Fall have certainly produced the requisite number of albums... and Lee Majors starred in an 80s series called The Fall Guy.

I think you've got it, my dear M Vinteuille, along with a dose of the G...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I think you've got it, my dear M Vinteuille, along with a dose of the G..
                          do you really think so? - 'cos I can't see much of a musical element in all this... apart from the mancunian beat combo

lawks a mercy me - if so, I'd a better be about thinkin' of a clue... (but I shall wait to hear if we're on the right lions)...

Comment

Wot no 'G'?

Comment

Apologies for this tardy (and possibly quite brief) visit to the thread with an F hanging in midair. Just back from a previous engagement

vinteuil and Caliban, it's all looking good: The Fall, The Fall Guy.

vints, your details regarding the van Eyck theft are fascinating and exhibit some fine sleuthing. Yet, it is not the answer on the card, though it fits very neatly. The 3rd element was Der Fall Hindemith, a newspaper article by Furtwangler published on 25 November 1934 defending the composer in the wake of official proscription of some of his works by the Nazis. Goebbels got involved and a huge row ensued and Furtwangler was relieved of his positions, until making an uneasy peace with the Nazis a few years later.

So, G up. But whom? vints got the answer and Caliban swung the majority of the clues.

Comment

I would say vines is the G man.

Comment

Working...
                                X