• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... shd it go to Am51??
    ammy - wd you like to rise to the occasion?

You correctly identified The Ruler of the Queen's Navee
    If you can give us a Weber Ruler - then the S and all that goes with can be yours!

EDIT - crossposted with Dave2002 who got the Weber.

But I think the honour goes to Am51 who got the ruler first.....

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Fine by me. I was pretty much at sea with that one!

Am can do the honours.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Go for it Am an S to die for!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

If I may go off on a tangent - I know Mercia sometimes worries about the accuracy of Wikipedia and Lady G and I have just been for a very nice meal in the Restaurante Rossini just off the Rambles in Barcelona and the picture displayed all around the establishment is that in Wikpedia in the entry for Verdi With the top hat and scarf by Boldini? Two composers really one well dressed man?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Blimey! Just back from a long trip ending with a nocturnal drive... Reading through the stabs at vinteuil's fiendish question, it's one of those where I don't really understand the solution even having read the answer Mind you that's possibly because I've forgotten the question...

In any case, great deductive skills from Ams, primus inter pares... looking forward to having a crack at your S, Ammy (if it hasn't been solved by the AA early birds, among whom I shall not be featuring)

Meanwhile I was enjoying the idea of there being somewhere as quaint as the "Rambles" in Barcelona - bit like the Shambles in York? - but i see it's las Ramblas.... (I've never been to Barca. Must rectify that at some point). Very nonchalant of you to be answering AA conundra after supper in downtown Barcelona, anton... even though the restaurant's musical knowledge seems approximate at best...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

one minute he's in Fenwick's, next moment Las Ramblas, I'm very impressed.
              are you attending a performance at the Liceu, AG?

are you sure it's not this Rossini's?
              Portofino Ristorante Italiano Restaurant in Droitwich. Portofino Ristorante Italiano is a well-liked restaurant in Droitwich Spa in Worcestershire, just five minutes from Junction 5 of the M5.
              Last edited by mercia; 11-10-11, 08:47.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Caliban

I thoroughly recommend Barcelona, at least for a couple of days stay. Other good cities include Rome, Milan, Stockholm, Amsterdam and Paris. Stockholm is prohibitively expensive, but pleasant in the summer. Actually for kicking back and drinking beer, Lille is good, and like Paris, accessible by Eurostar.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 11-10-11, 07:15.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Yes it is a beautiful city - for culture lovers such as those here assembled I would suggest a week especially if you are into Gaudi who even did a lot of the lamp-posts. Dare I say the weather is beautiful, clear blue skies and rather hot! Yes it's definitely Verdi but does it come down, in these Marketing times, to which face you'd rather have with your Caprese?

Comment

• Anna

Very envious of anton, Barcelona is on my never visited wish list, I haven't been anywhere more exotic than Barnard Castle and Brighton this year. My favourite city break is Florence although I agree with Dave about Lille and also, Rouen.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Never made it to Florence. Venice is superb - been there several times. Re Lille, it has very good art galleries, even one (at Roubaix) with its own swimming pool - http://gofrance.about.com/od/histori...ix-Lille_2.htm

Comment

• amateur51

Sorry to be so late on the case today & to find that I'm meant to be providing an S.

I'll put the thinking cap on & be amongst you in a mo!

Comment

• amateur51

What S

When asked by a friend if he was a paedophile is rumoured to have replied’ No my dear, pederast!

Was compositionally precocious which led a composer-friend to remark "He knows everything, but lacks inexperience"

According to an unconfirmed anecdote, stormed out of the première of Igor Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps on 29 May 1913, allegedly infuriated over what he considered the misuse of the bassoon in the ballet's opening bars.

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            What S

When asked by a friend if he was a paedophile is rumoured to have replied’ No my dear, pederast!

Was compositionally precocious which led a composer-friend to remark "He knows everything, but lacks inexperience"

According to an unconfirmed anecdote, stormed out of the première of Igor Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps on 29 May 1913, allegedly infuriated over what he considered the misuse of the bassoon in the ballet's opening bars.
                            Good morning, ams. That would be Monsieur Saint-Saens, I believe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Taps appears from nowhere...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                                Good morning, ams. That would be Monsieur Saint-Saens, I believe.
                                Crikey Taps!!

A new Persional Best AND Commionwealth & All-Comers record! Magnifique

We await your T with bated howzyerfather

Comment

Working...
                                X