http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Tailleferre
    Bloomin' 'eck Mercia the Unstoppable!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      Could be Urtext?
      And Taps AGAIN

I am NOT worthy

Comment

'Tis merely a cunning plan to avoid X, Y and Z.

An easy V.

V to connect works by Chopin, Offenbach and (Caliban's old mucker) Liszt.

(EDIT. Am I right in thinking that Amateur is also a Franzophile? )

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          [ my favourite town anywhere, Lucca ]
          Lucca is nice. But if we're talking Italian cities I have to say I prefer Ferrara; or Modena; or Noto; or Ascoli Piceno...

... I'll come back with cities in other countries in due course

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I agree with Dave about Lille and also, Rouen.
            yep, agree that Lille (the smelly cheeses!) and Rouen wd be in my top dozen French towns. Others that I really like going back to - not that they are necessarily major tourist destinations or wd have the greatest amount of stuff to see, but which just strike me as among the pleasantest places to be - wd include

Nantes - Besançon - Moulins - Nevers - Angers - Grenoble - Nîmes - Auxerre - Chambéry - Montauban - Avallon - Aix - Lyon

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Lucca eh?

I see that it's twinned with ... Abingdon, Berks

Tell alluring tales of its scents, its sights, its gustatory delights, its promise, Caliban. Sell it to me!!

That's Lucca, I mean - not Abingdon
              Beautifully preserved and intimate, surrounded by the intact, wide town-wall from the Renaissance era the top of which is the width of a road and tree lined, and used as a promenade. Cycling around it is as nice a ride as any I know. Add to that the proximity of Liguria (hence excellent pesto, which I think would feature centrally in my final meal if I were to be executed in the morning by the Liszt Appreciation Society) and with Tuscan wines and mushrooms from the nearby mountains... well, for me it's as good as it gets. The following pic was taken on a sundown cycle ride on the wall (self portrait in silhouette upon the velocipede visible on the red tile roof )

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

'Tis merely a cunning plan to avoid X, Y and Z.

An easy V.

V to connect works by Chopin, Offenbach and (Caliban's old mucker) Liszt.

(EDIT. Am I right in thinking that Amateur is also a Franzophile? )

Trying to connect VIE Parisienne with VIA Crucis and getting nowhere fast...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The answer, Caliban, has much in common with the current tangent, though the word itself has not yet been mentioned...

Comment

To the steady tick of a metronome, a woman plays Chopin's Nocturne Op.72 No.1 in E minor on the piano. Although her technique is perfect, the playing is mechanical and lacking in emotion. As the camera pans up, we see that it is Seven of Nine, who does not appear to have any Borg implants. Her hair is loose and she is not wearing her Borg catsuit.

The credits roll.

... might this be relevant?

Comment

Seven of Nine sans catsuit?

I cannot vouch for relevance in the present context, vinteuil, though I think we should all have the opportunity to review the evidence.

But no, no relevance I'm afraid.

EDIT: I see where you are coming from though.

Comment

The musical works in question all refer either directly or indirectly to the "V". There are at least three connected Liszt works, two of which contain the V word. The Offenbach and Chopin works do not contain the V word.

Comment

much in common with the current tangent
                          oh, like Italian cities

Comment

Si...

Comment

Seven of Nine sans catsuit?

I cannot vouch for relevance in the present context, vinteuil, though I think we should all have the opportunity to review the evidence.

But no, no relevance I'm afraid.

EDIT: I see where you are coming from though.
                              shame - I thought the Startrek: Voyager Chopin theme fitted in well with an Offenbach Voyage to the Moon and Liszt's Voyages in Italy and France

But clearly it's a barcarollian city you're looking for?

Comment

There are at least three connected Liszt works, two of which contain the V word.
                                Upon reflection, there are at least FIVE connected Liszt works (two of which contain the answer), though this should not muddy the waters unduly...

Comment

Working...
                                X