X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking of writing a play myself: Waiting for Ofcachap

Comment

You might even get to your second novel?

Comment

I'll have a go at setting a 'V' question that is neither too cryptic nor too simple.
        That's after finding the Holy Grail and understanding gravity, both of which are likely to be a sight easier

--

The only thing I can come up with that has anything to do with music is "Offenbach", which is indeed a German municipality. No "V" connection that I can find, however...

Comment

Sorry, I've been watching 'Great British Railway Journeys'. The second 'V' features in, but is the not the actual name of, a well-known opera. The author of the 2nd novel later wrote a series of novels, the overall title for which came from a famous painting by a French artist.

Comment

Venusberg?

Comment

Excellent - would you like to explain, and I'll return after 'Coronation Street'.

Comment

Yes, well done Tapiola - and please do, cos' I've never heard the word before, as far as I know.

Comment

It was an inspired and lucky one for me. What gave me a clue was OFCACHAP's clue about the 2nd novel of an author who went on to write a series of novels. The only series that sprang to mind was Anthony Powell's "Dance to the Music of Time". I subsequently discovered that his 2nd novel was called "Venusberg". The rest then followed (Wagner's Tannhauser contains said location (a place where naughtiness is rife)) and the German municipality then sort of fell into place.

I must congratulate OFCACHAP on a great conundrum - simple yet devious. I hope to emulate this in future.

Comment

I suspect you're emulating very soon. (When Coronation Street finishes. We're all slaves to the soaps now, it seems. )

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      Yes, well done Tapiola - and please do, cos' I've never heard the word before, as far as I know.
                      Don't worry - It's Wagner. You're better off as you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        (When Coronation Street finishes. We're all slaves to the soaps now, it seems. )
                        Peter Barlow's started drinking again....
                        Tapiola's explanation is correct in all particulars. One of the problems I encounter when setting questions is how to provide enough information and/or clues without becoming verbose.
                        We now take you to the northern forests for 'W'!

Comment

Peter Barlow is a legend (I gave up on the soaps a couple of years ago. I feel great, notwithstanding!).

Feeling slightly guilty for the torturous meanderings of "u", hopefully, a relatively straightforward one.

Teutonically speaking, what "W" connects the number 9, death, and a woman called Amalie?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tapiola;25253]Peter Barlow is a legend (I gave up on the soaps a couple of years ago. I feel great, notwithstanding!).

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                              Peter Barlow's started drinking again....
                              Ena and Martha surely won't approve of that!

Comment

Does anyone remember the other wife of the bigamous Peter Barlow?

Comment

Working...
                                X