X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to recap, are we looking for a piano concerto which, like Chopin's two, was premiered in Warsaw or simply has some sort of Warsaw connection?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      Warsaw
      at last!

The remaining element is simply a concerto written by someone who like Chopin was born in Warsaw: Panufnik.

The Warsaw Concerto was by Addinsell who was born in Woburn Square, London WC1
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        at last!

The remaining element is simply a concerto written by someone who like Chopin was born in Warsaw: Panufnik.

Bravo mercia and nice question Caliban

Comment

yeah, got that bit
          would have got Panufnik eventually I s'pose
          shall I set a question? or wait for Dave to become un-busy on Friday?

Comment

shall I set a question? or wait for Dave to become un-busy on Friday?
            I think Dave impliedly suggested we forge ahead without him for the moment. If you would favour us with a conundrum, mercia, I'm sure that would be welcomed

Comment

Seconded, Caliban.

Comment

I think Dave impliedly suggested we forge ahead without him for the moment. If you would favour us with a conundrum, mercia, I'm sure that would be welcomed
                No need to encourage mercia, Caliban!

A conundrum indeed!

A lickle puzzle will do just nicely, ta mercia

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  I know this doesn't help, but thought I would chip in with Ligeti's 6th Piano Etude: Automne a Varsovie. Morning all!
                  Morning Tapiola. I wish I'd known about that Ligeti Prelude as it might have lent some variety to the question. Then again, for an alphabetical quiz, the fact that its title is in French does take it out of the "W" running. One for a fiendish "V" question perhaps....

The French are silly with their spelling changes. When I lived there it took me some time to realise why FNAC etc never had any Shostakovich recordings... because they are all filed as Chostakovich

Comment

favour us with a conundrum
                    okey, dokey
                    I'm not clever enough for X Y Z so

A

a composer, the nephew of a creator of soil classification, one of his nine symphonies was as the result of a competition (hence it's monetary subtitle?), his violin concerto was premiered by a "temperamental" Australian violinist

Comment

Caliban,

I have similar trouble when browsing amazon.fr for Shostakovich recordings. One is never quite sure how extensive the search results are, given the idiosyncratic spellings to which you refer. And as for the German "Schostakowitsch"...

Regarding the Ligeti, when I first heard the piece I imagined that the title referred to the Nazi invasion of Poland in Autumn 1939, given the soundworld, which for me suggested a Chopin piano piece distorted through a Ligetian prism, and the violent ending. As such - according to my theory - the piece afforded a rare, extra-musical glimpse into Ligeti's psyche.

However, the truth is far more prosaic it would seem! According to the hallowed Wiki, the piece was written in 1985 for the Warsaw Autumn Music Festival.

Comment

a composer, the nephew of a creator of soil classification, one of his nine symphonies was as the result of a competition (hence it's monetary subtitle?), his violin concerto was premiered by a "temperamental" Australian violinist
                        Atterberg?

Comment

Atterberg?
                          oh dear, that was a bit quick. obviously not hard enough.
                          a B for you (once you've done a quick explanation perhaps)

Comment

Just inspired guesswork, mercia (he was the only "A" I could think of who had written 9 symphonies).

The composer's Uncle Albert developed the Atterberg grainsize scale;
                            Atterberg's 6th is subtitled Dollarsymphony;
                            The Violin Concerto was premiered by Alma Moodie in 1913.

A "B" to follow after some lunch.

Comment

A "B" to follow after some lunch.
                              Fish, presumably Taps?

Large quantities of such brain food are the only explanation of your feat in the matterberg of Atterberg, and mercia's excellent and elusive question.

I'd never heard of the beggar, let alone knowing how many symphonies he wrote.

I have a feeling that, fuelled by the omega-3 from a few cod fillets, we are going to get a monumental "B"

EDIT: Blimey, he's already wolfed it down and come up with a question

Comment

What B connects Stravinsky's Petrushka, Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin and Ives' Variations on 'America' ?

Comment

Working...
                                X