X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Fish, presumably Taps?

Large quantities of such brain food are the only explanation of your feat in the matterberg of Atterberg. I'd never heard of the beggar, let alone knowing how many symphonies he wrote.

I have a feeling that, fuelled by the omega-3 from a few cod fillets, we are going to get a monumental "B"
    Too kind, Caliban. However: a) I am not a great fish lover, unless the blighter comes in a shell; and b) apologies for a potentially very unmonumental "B".

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      What B connects Stravinsky's Petrushka, Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin and Ives' Variations on 'America' ?
      a wild guess that I can't really flesh out, is it Boston?

Comment

Sorry mercia, not Boston. The B is a musical thing, as opposed to a person, place or musical work.

Comment

I am not a great fish lover, unless the blighter comes in a shell
          I very much agree!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            okey, dokey
            I'm not clever enough for X Y Z so

A

a composer, the nephew of a creator of soil classification, one of his nine symphonies was as the result of a competition (hence it's monetary subtitle?), his violin concerto was premiered by a "temperamental" Australian violinist
            The violinist is Alma Moodie who sounds to have been quite a player but I don't get any sense from wiki about why she might be described as 'a "temperamental" Australian violinist' - can either mercia or Taps help please??

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              "temperamental"
              sorry, my pathetic play on words Moodie/Moody/Temperamental ................. sort of

Comment

G'day, ams, me old cobber! By "temperamental" I assumed it was mercia's pun on the fiddler's surname. Bonzah!

[schooner of ]

Comment

sorry, my pathetic play on words Moodie/Moody/Temperamental ................. sort of
                  Brilliant, mercia! ;ok:

What a chump am I!

Comment

The B is a musical thing
                    not Boston but perhaps bitonality, which occurs in those three works

Comment

B for Bingo, mercia. Great stuff. Interestingly, Hindemith denied (in the mid 1930s) the existence of the concept despite having written explicitly bitonal works years previously.

Let's C what you can come up with for the next letter.

Comment

I think I'm in danger of monopolising things here, so I shall buzz off after this C

C

a composer who resurrected Vivaldi (with an American poet), came from a family of several (male) cellists, wrote tributes to Paganini and Scarlatti and was a one-time conductor of an American orchestra

Comment

I think I'm in danger of monopolising things here, so I shall buzz off after this C

C

a composer who resurrected Vivaldi (with an American poet), came from a family of several (male) cellists, wrote tributes to Paganini and Scarlatti and was a one-time conductor of an American orchestra
                          ... might this be Alfredo Casella?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... might this be Alfredo Casella?
                            Perhaps a case of "close, but no cigar".

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              Alfredo Casella
                              that's the chap, well done
                              Paganiniana, Scarlattiana, Boston Pops Orchestra etc. etc. (Pound was the poet involved in Vivaldi Week)

over to you

Comment

Perhaps a case of "close, but no cigar".

Smokin'...!

http://www.acousticsrecords.co.uk/acatalog/SlimCD.html
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X