This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Hardly one out of three is pretty naff - but naff Os are what I do! If we can wait for Goulds Station taxis and the return of the Godfather etc!
    Well I felt that you deserved it.

I think this game is at its best when the turnover is pretty fast, keeps it alive!

Comment

turnover pretty fast then it shall be

O to connect

Khachaturian 1940
      Prokofiev 1944 and
      Shostakovitch 1955 excuse spelling.

Comment

turnover pretty fast then it shall be

O to connect

Khachaturian 1940
        Prokofiev 1944 and
        Shostakovitch 1955 excuse spelling.
        David Oistrakh was the dedicatee of and gave the premiere of Khatchaturian violin concerto in 1940

David Oistrakh gave the premiere of Prokofiev violin sonata no 2 in 1944

David Oistrakh was the dedicatee of and gave the premiere of Shostakovitch violin concerto No 1 in 1955

So it's O for Oistrakh

My word, if that's right, this is going very fast!!

Is anyone else playing?

Comment

Superb am as they say you are on fire! Certainly no P jokes from me!

Comment

Superb am as they say you are on fire! Certainly no P jokes from me!
            Cheers, anton- I am fond of a Ruby, as it goes

What P connects: a 16th century composer of hundreds of compositions, including 105 masses, 68 offertories, at least 140 madrigals and more than 300 motets; a fictional organist; and an Italian association football club?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Cheers, anton- I am fond of a Ruby, as it goes

What P connects: a 16th century composer of hundreds of compositions, including 105 masses, 68 offertories, at least 140 madrigals and more than 300 motets; a fictional organist; and an Italian association football club?

Back from Winchester College duty done, luncheon digested and the M3 negotiated... The composer must be Palestrina, but I can't find a link between either of his "P" names and a fictional organist or an Italian football team, save for the fact that (a) Palestrina worked in Roma or (b) there must be plenty of guys called Pierluigi playing in the Italian leagues...

The only fictional organists I can think of are Captain Nemo and Vincent Price's "Abominable Dr. Phibes"

So: stumped.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Back from Winchester College duty done, luncheon digested and the M3 negotiated... The composer must be Palestrina, but I can't find a link between either of his "P" names and a fictional organist or an Italian football team, save for the fact that (a) Palestrina worked in Roma or (b) there must be plenty of guys called Pierluigi playing in the Italian leagues...

The only fictional organists I can think of are Captain Nemo and Vincent Price's "Abominable Dr. Phibes"

So: stumped.
                Stumped? Not at all, Caliban - for you have it, my son!

Palestrina it is!

Now ... think hard of an organist in a work of fiction that you may well have heard rather than seen (big clue there) whose surname rhymes with his occupation, perhaps ....with an affection for the afore-named composer?

And it's not a footballer but you're very close - if I tell you to look in Serie D...?

Clues? We got a million of 'em

Comment

Not Shola Ameobi then but I feel he deserves a mention!!!

Comment

What was on the menu, Caliban - do young Wykehamists get jam roly-poly and custard on a Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      - do young Wykehamists get jam roly-poly and custard on a Sunday?
                      ... is that what they call it down at Winchester?!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Comment

whose surname rhymes with his occupation, perhaps
                          not Organ Morgan, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            It was an open goal and vindepays drilled it home... (as they say at Harrow)

Ams, no roly-poly ahem ! All in the best PAHHssible taste: http://www.chesilrectory.co.uk/site/...ay-lunch-menu?

I need to have a think about the clues... Nothing has sprung to mind

PS I had the rabbit and the rib of beef.... Desserts today were crumble and cheesecake, one each that is - both delicious
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              not Organ Morgan, surely?
                              The very chap - well done, mercia! How does Organ Morgan relate to Palestrina tho?

Comment

How does Organ Morgan relate to Palestrina tho?
                                dunno mate

Comment

Working...
                                X