X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Cheers, Carburetor! I was tertally baffled by your V
    I didn't think it was that hard (as the actress said to the bishop)... but I find it terribly difficult to judge.

I've just spent 20 minutes agreeably delving into the career of Le Corbusier who was awarded the Frank P. Brown Medal in 1961. I didn't know that it was one of those French assumed single names, like "Cantinflas" and "Mistinguette", that were all the rage in the first half of the 20th C (bit like S American footballers of late). Anyway I got so intrigued looking at his buildings that I forgot why I was doing it....

... but I'm sure I didn't find anything beginning with X

So I am flummoxed for the while...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I didn't think it was that hard (as the actress said to the bishop)... but I find it terribly difficult to judge.

I've just spent 20 minutes agreeably delving into the career of Le Corbusier who was awarded the Frank P. Brown Medal in 1961. I didn't know that it was one of those French assumed single names, like "Cantinflas" and "Mistinguette", that were all the rage in the first half of the 20th C (bit like S American footballers of late). Anyway I got so intrigued looking at his buildings that I forgot why I was doing it....

... but I'm sure I didn't find anything beginning with X

So I am flummoxed for the while...
      Le Corbusier puts you on the right track, Caliper! Two to go

Comment

I've just spent 20 minutes agreeably delving into the career of Le Corbusier who was awarded the Frank P. Brown Medal in 1961....
        Is this anything to do with your actual Xenakis, who worked with Corbs? There is a Robert Baker, a pioneer, along with Xenakis, of algorithmic composition. As for French martyr, I can only think of st Sebastian...

I am gradually talking my way out of this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          Is this anything to do with your actual Xenakis, who worked with Corbs? There is a Robert Baker, a pioneer, along with Xenakis, of algorithmic composition. As for French martyr, I can only think of st Sebastian...

I am gradually talking my way out of this one...
          You got the X Taps - it IS Xenakis. Maybe I'm wrong in calling her a martyr - ooops a clue!

The baker is not the one I'm thinking of - this one attempted to teach Xenakis (as did the martyr connection) - think of another nationality for the baker?
          Last edited by Guest; 18-10-11, 15:01. Reason: Clues, clues & more clues

Comment

You got the X Taps - it IS Xenakis. Maybe I'm wrong in calling her a martyr - ooops a clue!

The baker is not the one I'm thinking of - this one attempted to teach Xenakis - think of another nationality?
            Ha! Boulanger (Nadia) - nice clue!

Naama and Khoai are two harpsichord pieces by Xenakis, written for Elisabeth Chojnacka, who must have felt martyred whenever she saw the scores for the first time.

Comment

This martyr connection sounds a bit Messiaenic/messianic...

Comment

Ha! Boulanger (Nadia) - nice clue!

Naama and Khoai are two harpsichord pieces by Xenakis, written for Elisabeth Chojnacka, who must have felt martyred whenever she saw the scores for the first time.
                Yay Taps! another one bites the dust - wor Nadia had a go at teaching Xenakis - can you imagine how they got on?

The other teacher is not messiaenic - think of a martyr having a hot time, a life (end of) at stake

Comment

Yay Taps! another one bites the dust - wor Nadia had a go at teaching Xenakis - can you imagine how they got on?

The other teacher is not messiaenic - think of a martyr having a hot time, a life (end of) at stake
                  Ooh, must be Honegger then - Jeanne d'Arc au bucher? Apparently H and X got on like a house not on fire...

Comment

Ooh, must be Honegger then - Jeanne d'Arc au bucher? Apparently H and X got on like a house not on fire...
                    old Xenakis doesn't appear to have got on with quite a lot of people

You've successfully winkled out ALL the parts, Taps - the Y is yours in my reckoning

Comment

Cor blimey, there's some warm work here - awesome stuff from the AA All-

I'm just spreadeagled in the weeds at the side of the information highway...

Comment

Apparently H and X got on like a house not on fire...
                        i.e. like an intact Le Corbusier creation. Im still happily browsing his Parisian edifices. Wouldn't like to live in one though. Cold.

Comment

old Xenakis doesn't appear to have got on with quite a lot of people
                          Indeed! He apparently said - and I liberally paraphrase - that Honegger was a bit of an old fart, Milhaud was kindly but not on his wavelength and he had most respect for Messiaen who recognised his gifts, admitted there was little he (Messiaen) could teach him and advised him to plough his own furrow.

A great puzzle, ams.

I am left with a problematic Y...

Comment

i.e. like an intact Le Corbusier creation. Im still happily browsing his Parisian edifices. Wouldn't like to live in one though. Cold.
                            Yes, there are those who blame silly old Corbs for hi-rises becoming the breeding ground for malcontent, poverty, crime, social dissolution...

Comment

I am left with a problematic Y...
                              You can move straight on to A if neither Y or Z fill your imagination with clues, Taps

Comment

spreadeagled in the weeds at the side of the information highway...
                                what a way with words old calorgas has

Comment

Working...
                                X