This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Which R links Jack Hawkins, Michael Redgrave, Anthony Steel and Robert Donat?
    Any of this musical, Ofca?

Comment

JH was seen in action on a 'A graduated circle printed on a map or chart from which bearings can be taken' in 1953.
      Hawkins' films in 1953 were:

The Cruel Sea (1953)
      Malta Story (1953)
      Twice Upon a Time (1953)
      The Intruder (1953)

None of these titles seems to fit your description, Ofca

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        The Cruel Sea (1953)
        composer?

Comment

Yes - one composer, 4 films over an 8-year period.

Comment

I was trying to provide a clue for others, who were obviously otherwise engaged

Film music by Alan Rawsthorne
            Where No Vulture Fly (Steel)
            Lease of Life (Donat)
            The Cruel Sea (Hawkins)
            The Captive Heart (Redgrave)
            Last edited by mercia; 24-10-11, 07:51.

Comment

The instrument defined in #8971 was a Compass Rose, which was the name of the corvette in Nicholas Monsaratt's book.
              Robert Donat also featured on a recording of Rawsthorne's settings of T S Eliot's 'Practical Cats'.
              An S at your convenience, please!

Comment

thanks for the extra information. Donat's 39 Steps is a favourite of mine. I was interested to read that Donat had wanted to be Sikes in Lean's Oliver Twist, there must be many other examples of missed film castings. My dad gave me The Cruel Sea to read as a boy, but I never got around to it .

an S to connect

Gypsy Airs, The Red-Headed League and A Scottish Fantasy

pretty easy, I would think
                Last edited by mercia; 24-10-11, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  thanks for the extra information. Donat's 39 Steps is a favourite of mine. I was interested to read that Donat had wanted to be Sikes in Lean's Oliver Twist, there must be many other examples of missed film castings.
                  I agree about the Donat 39 Steps, mercia - a cracking film. I think I recall David Thomson's reporting that casting for The Third Man might have included Cary Grant instead of Joseph Cotten and Noel Coward instead of Orson Welles. What a different fillum that would have been

Comment

Noel Coward instead of Orson Welles.
                    I can't imagine that at all

Comment

thanks for the extra information. Donat's 39 Steps is a favourite of mine. I was interested to read that Donat had wanted to be Sikes in Lean's Oliver Twist, there must be many other examples of missed film castings. My dad gave me The Cruel Sea to read as a boy, but I never got around to it .

an S to connect

Gypsy Airs, The Red-Headed League and A Scottish Fantasy

pretty easy, I would think
                      I'm pretty confident I have the answer, but I'd like somebody else to have a go, besides which I have to work this afternoon (for money, so don't feel sorry for me! and won't have time to think about T.
                      Last edited by Guest; 24-10-11, 13:21. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

I can't imagine that at all
                        Oh I have complete confidence that Noel would have stolen the scene - however Welles was a fine choice

Comment

I'm pretty confident I have the answer, but I'd like somebody else to have a go, besides which I have to work this afternoon (for money, so don't feel sorry for me! and won't have time to think about T.
                          Oh go on, Ofca - give it up and if necessary mercia or I can do the T

Comment

OK - I think it's Sarasate, who composed 'Zigeunerweisen', and to whom the Scottish Fantasy is dedicated. Holmes plays a piece by Sarasate in 'The Red-Headed League'. Have to go!

Comment

OK - I think it's Sarasate, who composed 'Zigeunerweisen', and to whom the Scottish Fantasy is dedicated. Holmes plays a piece by Sarasate in 'The Red-Headed League'. Have to go!
                              Bloomin' brilliant Ofca! I was nowhere near!

Comment

well done Mr Norfolk (actually wikipedia tells me that Holmes & Watson go to a performance given by Sarasate in The R-H League, but what's the difference) - many congratulations, sorry you have to go. I'm sure am51 will oblige - or whatever .......................

Comment

Working...
                                X