This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I generally spin through the Corrie omnibus at weekends (believe it or not, for professional reasons)... The main highlights seem to me to come from the magnificent Eileen - her one liners, delivered with perfect timing by Sue Cleaver, rarely disappoint

Sally Webster is one of the most subtly disagreeable people in Weatherfield, I think - another great performance - but I suspect you are not referring to her character traits... ?
    I agree with you about Eileen. The suspicion which you voice in your second paragraph could not be described as wide of the mark.
    Perhaps we could compare notes on the characters of whom we would most like to get rid....

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Haven't really looked at this before. Double sharp springs to mind. Isn't that an X on manuscript?
      congratulations! - X is the answer : a double sharp
      hence the use of 'chance' - / accident-al

very clever - double sharp, orwellspeak
      a double sharp turns A into B
      a large whisky, quick! - a double, sharp!

Comment

Double sharp springs to mind.
        Aha! Another Eileen fan - double sharp describes her ripostes pretty well!

Comment

It was really the whisky that did it for me! (What does that say about my musical interests versus my alcoholic ones, I wonder?)

Have I got Y again? Or do we jump to A? I'll think on Y for a bit ...

Comment

Yes, well done DP!
            Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            a large whisky, quick! - a double, sharp!
            I really should have got it, the number of times people demand a double Scotch at the double in the Rovers Return. Are you going to give us a 'Y' or 'Z' or proceed to 'A'?

Comment

It was rubbernecks who suggested going straight to 'A' a while ago, but vinteuil ignored him. It's reall up to vint to say, as he's passing the baton.

As it happens, I do have an 'A' question left over from an earlier round and ready to go, but I don't mind trying to think of a new 'Y'.

Comment

It was rubbernecks who suggested going straight to 'A' a while ago, but vinteuil ignored him. It's reall up to vint to say, as he's passing the baton.

As it happens, I do have an 'A' question left over from an earlier round and ready to go, but I don't mind trying to think of a new 'Y'.
                o Don, I think you shd go for whatever suits! ...

Comment

Hmm! Well, I was just honing a fairly conventional 'Y', but that could mature until sometime later, as I think the 'A' might be a tiny change of angle. (Ofca may not be pleased.)

Here goes (I hope this question is still valid, as I haven’t been there for a while):

Which A is a nightly invitation at the RFH?

(The answer is numeric.)

Comment

Don't mind me - I'm happy gawping at the picture of Peter Barlow's 'other wife'

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Basically, you name between 3 and 6 words or short phrases, and ask for the thing that links them together. You have to do it in alphabetical order, so that the first answer starts with an A, the second B etc.

Have we drifted a little from the original ethos of this thread? I suppose there may be 3 or more indications compacted into that phrase, Don. RFH... nightly... invitation...

Is the the numerical 'A' answer music-related? Does it still go without saying that all solutions have a classical music connection?
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think we've been drifting for quite a while. I suspect the thread has been taken over by the DFNLWA.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          In order to prevent the silence between postings from becoming too deafening:
                          Tapiola: I've always had, and continue to have, a 'thing' for Sally Webster. The lady wife is well aware, and claims she understands. Does anybody else have any views on Britain's premier soap and those who populate it?
                          Sally Webster is a funny one. Half the time I think..."Yes" and the rest of the time..."No".

Carla, on the other hand, is pure filth (can i say that?).

Pete's other wife, though, is evergreen. IMO.

And well done to Don, for the solution to X. And to vintueil, for the fiendish conundrum.

Just remembered about Karen thingummy. Steve's second wife.

Comment

Well, I did say it was slightly different, which I thought might offset potential staleness. Sorry if that's going to upset anyone. (Judge it at the end.)

Those three 'indications' are indeed all needed to guide you to the answer, but it's really just a straight question, they don't need to be translated into something abstruse. I do now see one obvious limiting factor. If you haven't ever been to the RFH, you could find or know the answer, but it might not be easy. The subject is very central to classical music, be assured of that.

Perhaps I should scrap this, reveal the answer, and formulate a conventional 'A'?

Comment

Here's an alternative 'A' question for all us thickos that are (a) increasingly confused by the content and indeed format of recent questions and/or (b) have been careless enough never to have been to the Royal Festival Hall.
                              Which former Coronation Street character had the same surname as a 1950s BBC TV family?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                                Sally Webster is a funny one. Half the time I think..."Yes" and the rest of the time..."No".

Carla, on the other hand, is pure filth (can i say that?).

Pete's other wife, though, is evergreen. IMO.

And well done to Don, for the solution to X. And to vintueil, for the fiendish conundrum.

Just remembered about Karen thingummy. Steve's second wife.
                                Didn't the wonderful Anne Reid play Ken Barlow's wife many years ago? (I didn't start watching Corrie until 1995 - all those lost years....)

I quite like the discrepancy between Carla's exotic looks and her flat Mancunian vowels ('What am I like'?)

Deirdre's neck veins are REALLY scary.

Betty Driver is on 'Desert Island Discs' tomorrow, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X