This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Moi? All I did was interfere and upset the even tenor of your ways.

I'll have a think about J, then, rn. A bit rusty, though.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Moi? All I did was interfere and upset the even tenor of your ways.

I'll have a think about J, then, rn. A bit rusty, though.
      You, me, both.

Bless you.

Comment

• Don Petter

This will have none of the finesse of the finely honed questions of late, but might, at least, keep the ball rolling:

What J would seem to have been instrumental in revealing aspects of three well-known historic, tragic and comedy characters, though it turns out that the latter is rather grimmer?

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

All musical?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            All musical?
            The question is wholly musical, though the characters were not.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Everything now tidied up! Your turn!

(Clarification: Intollerenza 1960, Inori, Incipits. I'd love there to be an Inverness Contemporary Music Festival, though!)

f, thanks so much for stepping in with an arcane and elegant question which I haven't yet understood even looking at the answer, but then it's been a long day I must track back and grapple.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I'm sorry, but being a Numpty sans Pareille, I don't understand the I either Is the answer merely In ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Yes.

"trendy" = "in"; "doubly negative" = Nono; "a lack of respect" = "intollerenza" premiered in Nono's home town of Venice; "adorable prayer" is an English translation of "Inori", one of Stockhausen's "Formula" compositions; and "Incipits" is a series of openings and the name of a marvellous concertino for Viola, Percussion and Ensemble written by the blessed Brian (ie Ferneyhough, "distantly beloved" of yer'umble servant).

I can only apologize.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

"grimmer" or "Grimmer", DP?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      What J would seem to have been instrumental in revealing aspects of three well-known historic, tragic and comedy characters, though it turns out that the latter is rather grimmer?
                      A trio of Juli -s? (Julius Ceasar [Handel], Juliet [Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Dire Straits, Elvis Costello], Julius - aka Groucho - Marx [A Night at the Opera]?)

Comment

• Anna

ferney, thanks for the explanation re the I I must have been having a particularly blonde moment last night! Your J answer seems feasible (seeing as I have no idea of the answer)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Thanks, Anna (I remember the days when I had "blonde moments" with some nostalgia: nowadays it's all "bald moments", alas!) - but I don't "get" the "instrumental" and "grimmer" aspects of DP's poser.

Comment

• Anna

Thanks, Anna (I remember the days when I had "blonde moments" with some nostalgia: nowadays it's all "bald moments", alas!) - but I don't "get" the "instrumental" and "grimmer" aspects of DP's poser.
                            ferney, the only Grimmer part that I contemplated with a J was that one of the Brothers Grimm was called Jacob but then Jacob doesn't fit with anything else musically (well, Handel I suppose). I then thought of Jack (as in he of Beanstalk fame written by Grimm) but got no further with that either. So, basically, I haven't a clue!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Schonberg's Jacob's Ladder? Jacob Marley? Woolf's Jacob's Room? - Bit dodgy on the Musical connection with the last.

Then there's "revealing aspects", too: are we talking about jewellery? (David Diamond?)

Comment

• Anna

Schonberg's Jacob's Ladder? Jacob Marley? Woolf's Jacob's Room? - Bit dodgy on the Musical connection with the last. Then there's "revealing aspects", too: are we talking about jewellery? (David Diamond?)
                                Oh dear, please don't be influenced by anything I might say, most of the time I'm groping in the dark and spouting nonsense! I doubt if it is Jacob. Now, where are mercia, anton, Caliban et al to have a go at this?

Comment

Working...
                                X