X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "grimmer" or "Grimmer", DP?
    Just back home and assimilating recents posts.

You are on a right trail, fhg, it should strictly have been capitalized. But as it happens, it does not relate to the main thrust of the question (rather, a tidying up) so I suggest you don't get too bogged down with it. (No puns here, by the way.)

I'm in until about 7pm now, then back about 9pm. I'll wait until the consensus is that a clue is needed (or the solution is found).

PS I haven't been looking at the thread for a while, so am not sure how Simon's original 'rule of three' is being adhered to. I think this question is pretty much in that mould - One J to find, and three clues to lead you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Now, where are mercia, anton, Caliban et al to have a go at this?
      Working till late this evening I'm afraid, therefore even fewer than usual brain cells available. I've looked at this "J" a couple of times and can make no headway at all with it
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Oh dear, please don't be influenced by anything I might say, most of the time I'm groping in the dark and spouting nonsense! I doubt if it is Jacob. Now, where are mercia, anton, Caliban et al to have a go at this?
        I am trying but not getting far except that Joachim wrote Henry IV Overture, Hamlet Overture and then Wiki and I struggle although he did a Demetrius Overture which has (Herman Grimm) after it - small world indeed!

Comment

I think you've got it anton: "instrumental" in the clue, too!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I'm far from sure but hadn't really spotted the instrumental..........21.00 will reveal all!

Comment

Yeah you've got it, Joseph of that name was an instrumentalist as well as a composer (it seems - I had no idea).

Back o'the net son

I'd start dishing up the Special K if I were you.

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

anton - you have it!

This my prepared statement:

Joseph Joachim (Two J's for the price of one) wrote the following works:

Henry IV Overture
                Hamlet Overture
                Demetrius Overture

Though the first and second related to Shakespeare, this Demetrius was not from Midsummer Night's Dream, but from a drama by Hermann Grimm.

Nothing special about 'instrumental', only that Joachim (in this hat) was a composer. I thought the clue to spot would be the combination of 'history, tragedy and comedy', being the three categories often used to divide up the plays of Shakespeare, hence leading you to him, and then to possible characters. A pity it wasn't the Demetrius, so I had to cover that before some clever person rushed to put me straight.

As it happens, I have just been listening to a Joachim CD in the car. It has the two Shakespeare overtures and the Violin Concerto (soloist Elmar Oliveira), LPO, cond. Leon Botstein.
                Last edited by Guest; 28-10-11, 21:22. Reason: Addendum

Comment

Brilliant one DP, on Caliban's advice, I have a far from special K prepared that as Lady Gould will demand all attention tomorrow - I hope will be solved by the Night Shift or the early morning set mercia and the like

What K

connects

Tolstoy
                  Heidegger and
                  a grumpy dedicatee

all musical to varying degrees

Comment

Please sir! Please sir! Please sir! Please sir! Me sir!

Kreutzer.

Tolstoy - Kreutzer Sonata
                    Beethoven dedicated his well known sonata for Rodophe Kreutzer, though he had originally dedicated it to Bridgewater. Kreutzer never played it.
                    Heidegger gave a memorial address for Conradin Kreutzer in his home town of Messkirch in Baden. Conradin was a conductor and composer.

Comment

Excellent work Dave2002 Minor. Correct in every detail.

An L of a performance if I may say so.

Comment

Enjoy your day - best wishes to Lady G!

Comment

I shall, enjoy your Britten your post sent me looking for mine and as always I found something else - my Grieg E Minor Piano Sonata I have been looking for for months - disorganisation doesn't come into it!

Comment

What L (non-musical) connects:

The 2006 Presteigne festival of music and the arts
                            Richard Wagner
                            A festival opening performance of Lohengrin

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I shall, enjoy your Britten your post sent me looking for mine and as always I found something else - my Grieg E Minor Piano Sonata I have been looking for for months - disorganisation doesn't come into it!
                              ... disorganisation ....

I doubt whether you can beat me - sadly!

Comment

Oh my goodness Tom Peters that takes me back to MDs who lived by the man's every utterance!

Comment

Working...
                                X