This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hercule
    (Meanwhile back with Corrie, Betty Driver has just chosen Stephen Hough playing Tchaikovsky 1 (piano concerto) on Desert Island Discs)
    I've just finished listening to 'Desert Island Discs' (a programme which I rediscovered during the 'Mozartfest'). I was thrilled to discover that Ella Fitzgerald was a Corrie fan! Don't you think that, on the basis of voice alone, Betty Driver could be mistaken for Betty Boothroyd (or indeed vice versa).
    It's Jon Snow next week.
    Still no news/guesses/enquiries/clues on the Metalworker/Frith/Wells front....

Comment

Ofca,

There hasn’t been much activity in general today. Perhaps spring is about to be sprung and they’re all being active outside. In particular, the regulars of this thread seem to be absent when I last looked, and I’d like to give them a chance before giving too much away or caving in.

In answer to your earlier question, Frith is the well known one (who gets the overwhelming majority on a google), and I will say that the answer is a composer.

[And by the way, ‘musically trained, which I am not, … just a music lover, which I am’ applies exactly to me, as well, though I’m not sure about vinteuil.]

Comment

The second paragraph of your reply has been enormously helpful, and I now have two parts of the answer. As I must shortly depart for a concert in our local church, I will allow others the chance to get all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          though I’m not sure about vinteuil.]
          ... so many people say that...

No. not musically trained - tho' teenage years on the pianner and subsequent enjoyment of the harpsichord; like others here mainly a 'music lover'. My formal edddication was in Eng: Lit: ...

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
            The second paragraph of your reply has been enormously helpful, and I now have two parts of the answer. As I must shortly depart for a concert in our local church, I will allow others the chance to get all three.
            Fine - no problem ofca. I'll say no more until this evening, or at least whenever you clock back in. Better start thinking of a B?

Comment

The minute I saw 'composer' the proverbial light bulb went on. I shall have another think about the third part of your conundrum, but am happy to be pipped to the proverbial post in the meantime!
              (The concert was very nice - viola da gamba and harpsichord)

Comment

I think I've got all three now - in which case, you clearly know a lot more than I do about one of my favourite composers! But I'm happy to 'hold my fire' if you wish.

Comment

OK. You've missed nothing while away.

Comment

I think I've got all three now - in which case, you clearly know a lot more than I do about one of my favourite composers! But I'm happy to 'hold my fire' if you wish.
                    We crossed! Well, we've heard nothing from the other old lags, so you could just publish and be damned. Or if you want to give them a further chance to try, in case they're just now returning from foraging, you could just leave it for a little bit. You are welcome to PM me for confirmation, but I'm sure you've got it right, so start thinking of a 'B' ...

Comment

Would you like me to post my (hopefully correct) answers tomorrow morning (provided nobody else has got all three in the meantime)?

Comment

Would you like me to post my (hopefully correct) answers tomorrow morning (provided nobody else has got all three in the meantime)?
                        We're getting really good at this synchronised posting! No, I suggest you give it an hour if you like, and then post away.

(I need to pass the baton this evening as I'm on a trip tomorrow.)

Comment

We must have crossed again! Shall I wait until, say 7.30 p.m.? I'll start thinking about a 'B', which could always be saved for future use if somebody else comes up with the correct answer.

Comment

OK - 6.30-ish it is! Thank you for a really interesting challenge.

Comment

A hat trick of 'snaps'! Sounds fine to me.

Comment

William Alwyn wrote the score for a 1941 training film called 'How To File' (which featured metalworkers - thank you, Wikipaedia!), an orchestral work Derby Day (that would be the Frith) and the score to the film of 'The History of Mr. Polly'.

Comment

Working...
                                X