This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    ..eine Meinung, die meinerseits unbestritten bleibt!
    Oh, My!! The German Enlightenment and the Rise of Historicism? Is that the question? My German is so rusty, I left him out in the rain!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      a U to connect

Beethoven 9, a Diabelli Variation and Beckmesser
      Michael Umlauf (1781-1842) Conducted the premiere of Beethoven 9; composed the 44th of the set of Variations by diverse composers (Beethoven not included) on a theme of Diabelli; was the Uncle of Gustav Holzel, the first Beckmesser.

... unless I'm mistaken?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

... (assuming Ferneyhiccough is right... ) - just to say - congratulations to mercia for a stonking good poser - and congratulations to fhg for having solved it. I am lost in admiration

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          unless I'm mistaken?
          you most certainly are not sir. a more fulsomely splendiferous response could not be imagined. my heartiest congratulations I send in complete sincerity and invite you to furnish us with a most wicked question in return.

Comment

my heartiest congratulations
            My thanks.
            furnish us with a most wicked question in return.
            Oh 'eck!

Try this, then;

A V that connects
            First, someone who sounds brutal on the links.
            Second, an ARP officer who did a good job speaking in a dim little island.
            Third, the chef who cooked the swan of usk.

Comment

It's all gone very quiet.

I'm off out until lunchtime, but I'll add the extra "teaser" that, had I exercised "Ferney's Gambit", I might have replaced the third clue with a single brandy from Aunty's husband.

Best Wishes.

Comment

all I've come up with so far is Henry Vaughan but there's something horribly wrong with my computer so I doubt I'll be able to investigate further

Comment

All I've come up with so far is Henry Vaughan. (Fortunately) there's nothing wrong with my computer. However, I'm inclined to let others bash their brains out on this one, rather than engage in what will probably be fruitless further searching, and wait for 'W'.

Comment

well, as I'm occupied today I'm not going to be able to set a W - mercia shd perhaps claim that? - but surely it's

Vaughan Savidge, the continuity announcer

and Vaughan Williams, narrator on Dim Little Island...

Comment

oh, those sort of links. I've been looking for a golfer.

Comment

Again, not a lot of music in the answer.
                        The 'links' are presumably a reference to part of Mr. Savidge's duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                          Again, not a lot of music in the answer.
                          Does there have to be, Norfy? Nothing in Simon's original post to so suggest.

Otherwise, yes:
                          Vaughan Savidge, continuity announcer on Radio 4
                          Ralph Vaughan Williams (composer) whose voice is heard on the soundtrack of the film Dim Little Island
                          and Henry Vaughan (the bard of Llansantffried, whose The World inspired Robert Saxton's composition The Ring of Eternity and whose first work was the collection Olor Iscanus = "The Swan of Usk").

Congratulations to mercia and vinteuil. On to W.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Does there have to be, Norfy? Nothing in Simon's original post to so suggest.

Otherwise, yes:
                            Vaughan Savidge, continuity announcer on Radio 4
                            Ralph Vaughan Williams (composer) whose voice is heard on the soundtrack of the film Dim Little Island
                            and Henry Vaughan (the bard of Llansantffried, whose The World inspired Robert Saxton's composition The Ring of Eternity and whose first work was the collection Olor Iscanus = "The Swan of Usk").

Congratulations to mercia and vinteuil. On to W.

Oh, I think RVW gives it a sufficient musical toe-hold, doesn't it...? Been enjoying reading through your input, ferne ! You have the AA bug!!

Hello folks, back to these shores.

As requested by Monsieur l'Amateur, here is evidence of some of my recent activities and more to the AA point, evidence of Monsieur Vinteuil's complete justesse in the matter of the paris-brest:

It was delicious - the praline cream is not my favourite (I'm a real vanilla junkie, rather than nuts) but nonetheless scrummy.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think that, just by looking at these images, my cholesterol levels have soared!

From one Vanilla junkie to another, cheers, Caliban: you've made my day!

Comment

sorry, I can't provide a W because my computer is playing up very badly
                                I would be interested to know the brandy and Aunty connection in the last question, or has that been explained?
                                I must admit the idea of a poet as a chef who cooks a poem is completely new to me
                                was Vaughan Williams an ARP warden? - I didn't know that
                                Last edited by mercia; 09-11-11, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X